Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boo. Nectarines again have fantastic crop but affected by worms/ larvae  (Read 2441 times)

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
Yet again our dwarf Nectarine (nectarella) has a brilliant crop but the fruit have wee bore holes and often contain a small worm about 1 cm long. I'll try and get pics. Me n the smout are disappointed again. Does anyone know what they are and what to do? :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Boo. Nectarines again have fantastic crop but affected by worms/ larvae
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:20 pm »
Aw, shame  :( No idea what the problem is but I feel your pain  :hug:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:45:47 am »
The plums round here seem to have had a lot of worms in too - no idea what they are. I left one peach on our baby peach tree to mature and it was doing well but it has mysteriously disappeared in the last couple of days. At least one child looked guilty but that's quite often his response to questions so not necessarily to blame.

H

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:50:30 am »
Looks like its some kind of caterpillar or sawfly larvae or summit. Some people have suggested placing wee nets around growing fruit but it may be that the pest lives in the wood or leaves. Still can be used for jam and liquers but not easy for eating.
The smout is very disappointed

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 12:51:01 pm »
If it's a sawfly type of thing remove the top 2 inches of soil round the plant and put in fresh.  They lay their eggs there.  If you see any bugs flying around or leaves eaten spray with washing up liquid and water to dislodge them  - worked for my gooseberries.  You could try fleece round teh whole plant next year when ever teh fruit have started to form.

I assume smout is another name for your other half?  ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
thanks...

and yes the Smout is the wife and brains of the operation

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS