Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Bantam  (Read 4996 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Dead Bantam
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:09:17 pm »
 :'( :'(   I found my little cuckoo pekin hen dead in the hen house this morning.....with her head completely eaten off !!   She had been perfectly healthy and even laying although she's about 8 years old.......and I've no idea whether she just had a heart attack and literally fell off her perch, of if the rats murdered her??  Do rats KILL hens??   All the others were fine and certainly nothing other than a rat could have been in there but I don't know if they just ate her after she'd died or whether we have murderous rats on the premises? Any ideas?
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
Re: Dead Bantam
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:32 pm »
if there was a lot of blood then it is possible the rats got her, I have seen a rat attack a male pheasant before. If there was not a lot of blood it is possible they ate her post mortum. 8 is a good age and it is possible she just died.

I am sorry for your loss, I has one live til she was 11 and another two 8, all were lovely and we became attached to them.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:37 pm »
Thanks Rosey. No there wasn't any signs of a struggle in fact and it was only her head that had been eaten..although there was a little blood on one foot.  I think you're right and she just literally turned her toes up and pegged it. Bless her - she was such a comic too. :'(
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:30:50 pm »
Blinkers, I am so sorry, I have in the past had baby chickens and ducks  eaten by rats but never a bantam or fully grown chook, but 8 years is good. Sorry again

Carole

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:10 pm »
Thanks Carole - I'm left with a variety of different normal size hens........but only one Lavender Pekin Cock and one White Pekin hen now in the Bantam department.    Last summer I found the lavender pekin hen drowned in the goose water !!! Never had that happen before (or since) either!   You live and learn.   But will definitely get a few more little pekins once we get to Wales.  They are still my favourite.   
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS