Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf???  (Read 18560 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Orf???
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 11:35:22 am »
 I got it once, many years ago, and it never recurred. I assumed it was like smallpox and that once infected you were then immune. I actually didn't find it painful, just itchy, but it got infected and the redness started spreading up my arm so I had to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics.
 However, I would google it if I were you and get the full tale as expressed by the "experts".
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
This:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1133450-overview#a3

says "patients ... must also be informed that recurrences may occur but generally result in lesions that are less pronounced than the primary infection." and this:

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/orf-virus/animals.html

says "Animals can become infected more than once in their lifetime but repeat infections usually occur after a year's time and are generally less severe."

Other sources suggest that this could be because the antibodies produced are not great at preventing re-infection (as opposed to limiting the severity/duration of a re-infection).

However this wouldn't look to be a spontaneous recurrence (like say shingles) but a re-infection, but since the references mention that the virus can stay active in the environment for months on inert objects it would seem quite feasible to be re-exposed without knowing about it (i.e. not just from contact with a symptomatic animal).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »
I believe that in theory you should be immune having had it once - but like all these things, the bugs don't read the books...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS