Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted, teaser ram, will buy, borrow or swap!  (Read 2176 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Wanted, teaser ram, will buy, borrow or swap!
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:32 pm »
Hi there,

I called the vet today to book one of my rams in to be vasectomised and was told im too late :( :(

I definatly do not want a repeat of this years lambing of everything being spread out over a whole month!

So I am in desperate need of a teaser ram, to use the last two weeks in October, I will be willing to buy (depending on breed) or borrow or even swap for an entire shetland ram.

If I was to buy I think it would have to be a thrifty primitive breed

I am willing to pick up from Berkshire, most of Hampshire and also Wiltshire/Gloucestershire

Many thanks

Jess

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Wanted, teaser ram, will buy, borrow or swap!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:02 pm »
Why don't you use the ram effect and then sponge your sheep this year. Then you wont need a teaser this year and get one done for next year.Hope this helps. We used a teaser this year then sponged ours all covered by tups in 5 hours when turned out and only 1 repeat. :D

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:17 pm »
 :wave:

Hi there,

Doesnt the ram affect work buy putting the ram on another side of a fence to the ewes?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »
Yes it does. I've done that before now.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
Yes it does, They should then start cycling insert sponges and then synchronise lambing giving you a more compact/tighter lambing date  :)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:10 pm »
Thats a good idea but unfortunatly it would only be an electric fence between ewes and rams, the land is very steep and after spending many weekends fencing along the bottom, we are having to resort to electric to split our paddocks in two, meaning we were going to bring the teaser ram up and then take him out and put in rams at the same time, leaving none on the side of the fence...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS