Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mains powered electric fencing, hurts...  (Read 6943 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: mains powered electric fencing, hurts...
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:37 am »
Conversation with my then 8 year old, Eloise at a friends far.m....

"careful ELoise that fence might be on!!"   Eloise "Its not",  Me "er, how do you know?!"   E " I touched it to check - like I do at home...."

palm face moment.  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 08:35:43 am »
I also once got a mains shock from a wire on the top, inside of thigh - wasn't in shorts but had wet jeans (vegetation was wetter than had realised, even though was a really hot day!) And was standing in water on both sides wearing trainers. The fence hadn't been on for weeks, hurt like hell! Farmer was pleased as it saved him having to to walk up there to check it was on  ;)

Some people seem to know electric - one little girl I know can touch a fence between the shocks somehow. Her mum swears by just grabbing the wire/tape hard in her bare hands, says it doesn't hurt, she acts like its not even on!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »
Some people seem to know electric - one little girl I know can touch a fence between the shocks somehow. Her mum swears by just grabbing the wire/tape hard in her bare hands, says it doesn't hurt, she acts like its not even on!

Thats what I can normally do, if you have wellies on, you're fairly insulated, once showed my cousin how easy it was, knowing she only had shoes on, unfortunately she got hold of ME, felt like my elbow had been knocked out of joint, haven't tried that mean trick since.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »
They do say the odd electric shock does you good..............but what a scare.....I do remember picking up a live split cable and thinking I should not do it, but I did and it certainly gave me a shock, strong tea and cake was the remedy!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »
Have done the mains powered electric fence test by mistake when squatting down to sort out the pig trough.......

OH was in hysterics  :rant: He won't go near the fence!

One of the dogs tested the fence with his nose - you've never seen a dog run so fast, tail clamped between legs while yipping in a high pitched tone

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »
haha - I've done what MAK describes!! big OUCH! another time I was demonstrating goat milking to a group of children, bent over to squeeze the goats teat and my bum touched the fence - both the goat and I got a shock through that one!!
Plums, of course I wouldn't dare say anything about the size of your bum  :innocent:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »
 ;D  that may have had something to do with it I guess LOL!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 10:03:25 pm »
I once heard Chris Tarrant (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire) being interviewed when he described a day out fishing. He was on a deserted stretch of the river about a mile from the nearest toilet so decided to relieve himself against a hedge. He just hadn't realised there was a strand of electric fence behind it but soon realised when the stream hit it.  :roflanim:  I think he feared for his manhood for a while.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »
Hubby fixed a permanent wire along the top of one of the field fences so we could connect to it easily for strip grazing. One of my favourite tricks is to lean on it with my hand when I'm standing talking  :o , yes I'm stupid enough to have done it more than once  :roflanim:

Once watched a curious piglet walk up to the ire and bite it, now that was funny  :roflanim:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »
When we were buying  a house in Cornwall the neighbour had an electric fence and started chatting to us, both our dogs went up to him and jumped high into the air, it was actually funny, I was also very please when a local farmer put some around his field where horses were kept as my dogs now keep well well away from it although I worry I may grab hold of the wire!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS