Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy goats as companions  (Read 1126 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
pygmy goats as companions
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:03 pm »
Hi

I would love your opinion on whether pygmy goats would make good companions for my Ouessant ram as I need to seperate him off (and would love an excuse to get pygmy goats).

Also would it work if I got kids (because I love the idea of getting kids), as opposed to adults?

Obviously I was thinking of 2 and if its a good idea should I look for ones with or without horns as I want to open up the field for petting next year (to compliment holiday lets and coffee shop (under construction)).

I have no experience of goats but the field is wooden fenced with wire mesh attached, stables and a hard standing in the field and I think the ouessant lambs would enjoy a wooden play area set up as well as goat kids.

I just need to remove the ram for a couple of months.

Comments appreciated,

Thanks

K

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: pygmy goats as companions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:54 am »
Because sheep and goats share a lot of diseases etc - worms the most likely - I wouldn't keep goats and sheep in the same field - unless you are absolutely sure that your worm status is VERY low. Goats do not build up the same kind of tolerance as adult sheep do to worms, so you will end up with  ongoing problems...

I think  ouessant wether may be a better option....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS