Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: *crosses fingers* *takes deep breath*  (Read 1457 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
*crosses fingers* *takes deep breath*
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »
Hold on... this may get tricky.

I live in Essex, but in a semi rural location between Epping and Harlow....

I originally had 2 acres, and 2 years ago brought another 2 1/2 acres from my neighbour on my left to square up my plot... he was in need of money and I paid about £12,000 an acre....

To the right of my plot (and my house is about 25 feet from the right hand boundary) is a 41/2 acre field.  "Old Joe" owns this (he is 91) and rents it to "Old John" who has horses and also hays it.  carved out of the top of the field are Old Joes house and Colin's house. 

The field is now for sale and Old John was offered half of it for £51,000.... which was ridiculous.  Turns out Old Joe wants £17,500 an acre, which is over the top.  Colin wants an acre to add to his garden (which will increase the value of his house by about £100,000 and I am willing to buy the rest.... but don't want to pay £61,000 which is what I work out the remainder at.

I won't make a return on this land and it won't add to the value of my property disproportionately.  In fact it may make some people think its too big.

Why I really want to buy it to ensure that no one tries to breach the greenbelt with it (there have been a lot of one off properties built around here) because it is so close to my boundary..... and really, to stop those of the travelling persuasion not to permanently settle on it, because we have a LOT of illegal encampments......

If I can't get it.... fine, but until Joe gives me a price, I am really going to be on tenterhooks.

Old Joe is quite shrewd.....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: *crosses fingers* *takes deep breath*
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
Old joe is probably sucking his pencil and trying to work out how to do long multiplication and then add the number he first thought of. ....:-))

Good luck with buying it. Sounds like some good reasons to do it...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: *crosses fingers* *takes deep breath*
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Good luck - is it worth getting the old boy drunk?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS