Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pressure cookers -who uses them .....  (Read 6029 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Pressure cookers -who uses them .....
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »
... and do you find the flavour of things like stews/casseroles etc develop as well as slow cooked in an Aga or something similar.

I am considering how I shall be cooking in the future.  I had though stir fry things mainly, but presumably that will make the "bus" smelly  The other option is one of those halogen cookers.

Who uses what and how do they find it.  Must admit I am an Aga fan, having learnt to cook on one and really used one almost since then apart from an occasional electric cooker meal.

I have always been a bit scared of gas and pressure cookers, for some reason they seem a bit dangerous- perhaps its the noise  :-\
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pressure cookers -who uses them .....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:26 pm »
I never use my pressure cooker - had it since I was married in 1968, was used a lot when the kids were wee.  But my slow cooker is my bestest friend nowadays.  it does it all itself and leaves me free to do what I want.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:55 pm »
I was thinking one of those Halogen Ovens would be useful - would you think I would need a slow cook pot as well.  I see there are casserole recipes for the halogen ovens.  Using an Aga I have never had to get to grips with modern technology - I have never ever used a microwave even  ::)   I can't see me fitting an Aga in the van though  ::)

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:21 am »
I had a pressure cooker when I first got married but I was scared of it. My mum always used hers though and made fantastic soup in it very quickly and easily.
Do you know anyone close by who has one. Perhaps you could try it out first.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:00:02 am »
sue,

important hint when looking at motor homes, get one with an external gas port and then a bbq/griggle you plug into it they have a gas burner underneath and a solid metal plate that you cook on, awesome for meat grilled veggies etc...

plus all those smells are outside, i think if i were doing what your doing that would be a major part of my cooking life...

they are also great for fry ups, saus, bacon, mushroom, tomato, and even a griddled egg!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:21 am »
Mmmm, the griddle thing sounds good. Better watch it though Sue as we will all be coming to dinner  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:10 am »
I have done so much food preparation, ccoking and entertaining over my lifetime that I said when I got the van/bus Iif it had an oven fitted in I would have it taken out or use if for storing shoes.  But after a break of really just a few weeks I am getting the glimmerings of interest, as you can tell by my posts

I find pre-prepared, and even most restuarant food really doesn't do it for me

Mind you "slow food" takes on a whole new meaning when it is a case of "first select your preferred breed of the chosen ingredient"  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:45 pm »
I had a pressure cooker when I first got married but I was scared of it. My mum always used hers though and made fantastic soup in it very quickly and easily.
Do you know anyone close by who has one. Perhaps you could try it out first.

Mum bought one years ago and used it for a while - terrifying the whole family, and my Grandmother had one which she hadn't used in years. 

Can't really remember what the food out of them tasted like, but both Mum and Grandma were of the old school - lots and lots of watery gravy type cooking, which is not my thing.

Lancashire Hotpot seemed to consist of some almost clear and slightly fatty stock/gravy of which you got several ladles full, and floating around in between some lamb bones were some sliced onions.  The potatoes had normally disintegrated apart from a few just on the top which had browned on the edges - those  were good mind :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:08:55 pm »
Lancashire Hotpot seemed to consist of some almost clear and slightly fatty stock/gravy of which you got several ladles full, and floating around in between some lamb bones were some sliced onions.  The potatoes had normally disintegrated apart from a few just on the top which had browned on the edges - those  were good mind :)
I think that may have been austerity kicking in, Sue.  I really love my slow cooker.  You may have seen from another thread that I've made jam in it, as well as stews/hotpots/soups etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:51 pm »
Possibly yes in my Grandmother's case.  Her mother died young, and Grandma took on the task of looking after the rest of her brothers and sisters, plus her father, her own husband and new young baby, and an orphaned second cousin.  That was six grown men four teenaged girls and 2 children plus herself to cater for and when the washerwoman called she got fed as well.  And they all had a hot cooked meal every day except on Monday when they just had hot boiled potatoes with pickles and the remains of the Sunday joint cold.   No wonder she made plenty of watery gravy :o

When she did a roast there were plenty of ragingly hot boiled potatoes with several exceedingly thin slices of roast meat artfully draped over the top and a helping of greens and the obligatory watery gravy.  Her brothers would shout, quick - shut the door - Rose is carving the meat, we don't want it blowing away :roflanim:

And she ran her own small business as well!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:19 am »
Maybe when you are actually travelling you could use a haybox.  Put together a stew in the morning, cook for half an hour then pop it in the haybox in a secure place in the van, then your dinner's ready when you arrive, slow cooked and delicious.

I used a pressure cooker a lot when my children were young and I was working full time, so we could have a proper meal every day.  Since they left home I have never used it again, as the time factor is no  longer a problem.  I found the pressure cooker seemed to blast the ingredients to smithereens and the meals tended to taste like school dinners.   I much prefer a slow cooked meal.  I don't use a slow cooker as I've never got on with them, so just use the oven on very low.
I use the haybox when we are visiting one of our sons who lives a bit over an hour away.  I cook a roast til nearly done, pop it in a haybox and let it become really tender over the journey.  They provide the veg, so an easy meal for us all.
I have cooked stew in a haybox too, although I heated it up on the stove halfway through then put it back in the box to finish cooking.  I don't know if that was necessary.  You could make a slightly posh one with really good insulation, as the hay/straw does get a bit messy.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:19 am »
Yes - I had forgotten bout those   -  I first read about it when I was 10 in a childrens book and was intrigued  A few year ago I bought one of the original hay box cook books which gives construction details.  They would be light to carry and energy efficient.  Thanks for jogging my memory - brilliant idea

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:08 am »
 :bow: ;D    Glad to help

If you do try it, let us know if it's a success  :hungry:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
friends of ours swear by their halogen oven......not tried one mind.....but they rave about it....they actually have 2!!  we use a slow cooker....can't fault it :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:53 pm »
I love my pressure cooker for soups, especially ones involving pulses and beans which take an age to cook in a saucepan. It's also great for steamed puddings.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS