Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do with the ground  (Read 2189 times)

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
what to do with the ground
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:54 am »
Now that my wife and child are home from hospital and things are starting to get back to normal (thanks everyone for the kind words of support) and for helen for helping out with the pigs I have had a fencing contractor in to fit all new stock fencing around the perimeter of my plot and the plot next door which i have now got for when i get new pigs in a couple of months and I have also fenced off a piece of land 6m by 6m where I am going to have chicken and ducks for eggs also what I was wondering where the pigs were on the land before they have basically ripped up any grass or weed as they do and was wondering if it would be worth reseeding with grass seed or just put the new pigs straight on there the ground would be rested for about 3 months is that long enough or shall I leave it longer before the new pigs go on there I dont really have a place to grow veg and things and to be honest I get free veg from a friend anyway so its basically to put new grass seed down or not thanks in advance gavin

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: what to do with the ground
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:46 am »
Definitely re-seed, it is so easy and quick to do, and growing conditions brilliant at the moment.   Even if the pigs rip it all up again, it will give them several weeks of enjoyment and interest sniffing and munching every last blade.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:23 am »
Definitely re-seed, it is so easy and quick to do, and growing conditions brilliant at the moment.   Even if the pigs rip it all up again, it will give them several weeks of enjoyment and interest sniffing and munching every last blade.
Agree otherwise you'll find it full of weeds and every undesirable plant you can think of!
Plant now and give it a good rest over winter ready for new pigs in Spring.
Glad life improving
all the best
Mandy :pig:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:14 pm »
or better still, plant some forage crops. There should be some types that will grow over winter if sown right away.
(try here: [size=78%]http://tuckers-seeds.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_91[/size])

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS