Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame-ish ewe, What to do?  (Read 2626 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Lame-ish ewe, What to do?
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:32:42 am »
One of my new ewes is walking funny, I wouldn't say she's badly lame but she's not 100% sound! I caught her the other day and tipper her up, Slightly overgrown side walls that I've trimmed flat (we all know how painful it is if we wear boots with slightly long nails... Blooming painful!) Nothing In-between her claws, no stones or thorns.

Should I give her some time or just give her a shot of Long acting?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lame-ish ewe, What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:02:25 am »
Is it more of a footy lameness or something further up? Could she have strained her shoulder, that seems to be quite a common ailment in sheep causing lameness. I'd leave her over the weekend and if no better treat then. One of our lambs had shoulder lameness and 5 days of pen&strep sorted it out really well. If it's a footy lameness is the foot smelly? Could be an abscess brewing, thrush or as you said she could have just had long toes, might be worth spraying with terramycin but only if it's smelly or thrushy.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:18:12 am »
Its really hard to tell as she is only slightly lame. Feet aren't smelly but very likely she has strained herself as there are some ruts in the field and she seems to be lame a couple days after being chased by a dog.

I will keep an eye on her till Monday and I may call the vet and see what he thinks on Monday

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
I would only give IM antiBs (Alamycin/Terramycin) for persistent lameness caused by smelly footrot, not as a 'just in case', which is where antibiotic resistance begins - there may be no infection there, or the infection there is may not be susceptible to the AntiB you have.  If there is anything like redness between the cleats and so on, spray with Terramycin foot spray  If you suspect a joint involvement then feel with your hands to detect any heat and if that is present then consult your vet (by phone, or take the sheep to the surgery) for advice on which antiB is appropriate.   It always makes less of an impact on your wallet to take the sheep to the vet, rather than getting a home visit.

If there is bruising, a strained ligament or twisted leg then just give her time to recover- at least a week then seek advice if she is no better.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:20:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS