Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pre-Tup and ponies  (Read 1852 times)

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
Pre-Tup and ponies
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:58:27 am »
Hi, quick question.  Ewes are out with pony and I want to put a pre-tup bucket in with them.  Likely the pony will have a taste too (at least).  Does anyone know whether it will do her any harm?  Don't want to poison her!

If I can't put it in now, they'll on,y have it for a fortnight before the ram goes in.  Will they still get enough benefit at tht stage?

Any opinions please.

Thanks

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Pre-Tup and ponies
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:28:49 am »
If you have electric fencing, fence off a large square with a single strand of tape/wire. Make sure its high up so the sheep can go under and the pony will stay outside.  Put the bucket in the middle... :)

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:32:40 am »
Ooh brilliant idea  :thumbsup: thank you.  Although, no battery for the unit but maybe a large enough area taped off with tight tape might work.  Will give it a shot this afternoon.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:19 am »
If the pony respects electric fencing that shouldn't be a problem. If not go to your local scrap yard, I get mine for 10 pounds each :) Good luck!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
We use elctric for this too, but where there is no electric available we have a rail nailed across the corner of some of our paddocks, to make a wee triangle, for the same purpose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS