Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to stop breeding - sheep!  (Read 9578 times)

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
When to stop breeding - sheep!
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:12 pm »
Think the title says it all, I have an 11 year old Shetland  ewe that I have owned since she was three and she has lambed every year.
Do I stop putting her to the ram or just let nature decide?

Thoughts please..

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: When to stop breeding - sheep!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:16 pm »
I know a man who has an Oxford down ewe 14 years old had twins in 2012 and a single 2013 said she just need abit extra than the rest but her lambs are still the best out the flock....only you know your ewe....is she still fit and healthy? Had any lambing problems?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:52 pm »
I knew a fella farms in the Lakes had a Herdwick 17 years old still rearing a lamb every year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:21:41 am »
Same here - I've had a 15 yo produce big healthy twins and rear them with no probs.  On the other hand I've had much younger ewes who start to lose their teeth at 8 and that is usually the deciding point for me.  A ewe will survive fine with no incisors, but not rear twins too.
Part of the criteria I use for a good line to breed from is longevity, by which I mean a ewe which can still rear lambs, has all her teeth, good udder, good feet, good condition, etc well into her teens.

Your 11 yo ewe may be perfectly fit to go on for a few years more, or she might be past it already.  Have a good look at her, especially her teeth.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
If she is sound in tooth and udder an isn't underweight, I'd put her to the tup.

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 07:30:40 pm »
Will get the dental equipment out just to check, thanks everyone for the advice..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS