Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh No, not another mite question  (Read 2113 times)

Tricia

• Joined Oct 2010
Oh No, not another mite question
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:08 pm »
Ok, I have given up cleaning, powdering, spraying with pink killing liquid, and on the advise of the vet I will be spending the weekend with a brush and a can of creosote in the hope of eradication the dreadful mites. Vet has given me something to spot onto each hen while the creosote does its work.   The question is about all of the mites, lava, and eggs that I was cleaning out and putting on the compost heap for a long time before I knew they were there. Will they die from lack of hen blood to feast on? As the hens clamber about on the wooden frame and top of the compost bin will they be reinfesting themselves? If the compost mites aren't dead, what can I do about them now?  The mites are black. Today I found a red one.  Any thoughts? Tricia

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Oh No, not another mite question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »
The eggs will hatch and look for a host Tricia. They are brown in colour until fed, then they are red. So the black ones are a puzzle. They can survive in the open for two weeks and in the shelter of a coop for at least 6 months. The eggs hatch about a week after treatment so you need to repeat 7 days later because the chemicals don't kill the eggs- unless you are using creosote with the panels upside down to reach the joint groove.

Very few people have never had red mite and even we have them and all our coops are creosoted. So you are not on your own.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »
The mites I've had here have been grey until they suck some blood when they go red.

With creosote you have to get into every nook and cranny, under the roofing felt, and every deep crevice where it's difficult to get the creosote.   It's unlikely to be a once only treatment, any more than the other trials.  Yes they might pick up mites from the compost heaps, especially if they dust bathe, but in theory the mites are nocturnal.  They are far more likely to pick them up again from missed mites or newly hatching mites in the house, so continuing with a flame gun and diatomaceous earth is well worth while to reinforce the creosote.  We use everything we can think of and at the moment all is well, but it could be that tomorrow the horrors reappear for us.  Just life with poultry  :chook: :chook: :chook:

cross posted with chrismahon
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tricia

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »
Thank you, although I see a lot of effort coming up. Don't know how you people with multiple sheds cope. This weekend is going to be all about the hens and mites. I am unable to get true creosote, only creocote. We are changing the roof for a bitumen based corrugated sheet, corolin.  I hope it gets easier. Fortunately these feathered cartoon characters are worth it. Tricia

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »
You can get proper creosote from builders merchants/wood and fencing suppliers. We are now down to a once a year treatment, only when we put new stock into the sheds. Haven't seen a mite in years... (we have Onduline roofs and plastic nest boxes, bedding is straw or old hay that the goats have thrown on the floor or whatever is round, also in the nestboxes.)

If you can get the proper stuff - there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:11:47 am »
I got it from an agricultural merchant (SCATs) but they only did it in the huge containers - 25l or something. Just reckoned it would last me for ages. First time around it's quite easy to paint on since you can see really easily which bits you've missed. I can imagine next time will be harder. Remember you need to move your hens somewhere else for a couple of weeks after you've painted, and ventilate the house well in the meantime  - it Is vicious stuff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS