Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red mite question  (Read 1687 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Red mite question
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »

I'm sorry if this seems like a truly daft question!

We've been dealing with red mites in the chicken house. I've steam cleaned, squished and powdered. Waiting for poultry shield to come back into stock at local place. It's not an option to creosote our henhouse as we only have the one. It's is *far* better now than it was though!

What I don't know is if I'm looking to completely eradicate every single red mite or if it's inevitable there will always be a few and it's a matter of ongoing treatments?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Red mite question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »
I think once you have them, its a case of (hopefully) a very low level infestation which you try and keep under control by regularly treating coop and birds. Even if you can move them it would be very difficult to make sure no live mites went with them although if you ivermectined everything several times regularly before moving you might be lucky.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:12 am »
I saw a suggestion recently in one of the smallholding magazines to have hanging perches - suspended by chains or something from the roof. Then the ones on the perches are isolated so you just need to replace the perch wood every so often and burn the old ones. No idea whether it works - I've been lucky enough to be able to creosote.

H

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:53:12 am »
I've always used hanging perches in my chicken sheds but to help keep my birds fit rather than as a way of combatting red mite. They do keep my birds fit but they are a none starter when it comes to mite control. :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS