Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do ram lambs produce less lambs?  (Read 3992 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Do ram lambs produce less lambs?
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
I think about a year ago someone said that if you use a ram lamb to tup ewes, they produce less lambs.

Is this true? I was thinking about getting a ram lamb then eating him but Obviously I want the most from my ewes!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Do ram lambs produce less lambs?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »
I think if you prepare him well and are only using him on a smallish number of ewes he should be fine.

We have used ram lambs and not found a problem - although we don't flush our ewes and prefer them to make a good job of rearing a good single than be pushed to produce and rear twins, so we wouldn't have particularly taken any notice if there'd been more singles than expected. 

How many ewes were you thinking of putting him with?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »
Er, no.

Not unless he doesn't serve all the ewes.

Depending on the breed of ram, I wouldn't give him too many to serve - maternal breeds should be able to do 60 in year one, terminals somewhat less.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:46:09 pm »
Seems a real shame that ram lambs are considered as such a disposable commodity.  I personally prefer to keep a good ram for a couple of seasons, longer if I don't keep back any ewe lambs.  A good stock ram will usually sell for a good price at a breed sale too once his job is done for a flock and it is necessary to move him on.  If a ram lamb produces some good offspring and you have the room to split him away from the ewes as necessary, I think this is much less hassle than having to find another suitable ram the following season.  In addition, constantly changing a ram brings in the risk of diseases etc from the purchase venue.  Only my very humble opinion though.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
I have about 10 or so ewe to cover and i'd look for a suffolk. So its not a push for him anyway. I don't have the room nor the company for a ram all year round.... its a case of selling a ram after the tupping season which wont exactly be easy or eat him which is what sheep are also bred for.....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:49 pm »
No , a ram lamb will produce slightly less semen than a mature ram  but since only a few need to get through it makes no difference ,2 ram lambs  served  146 gims last year  on grass only , 4 barren  6 triplets

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »
A related question

Is it OK to use a shetland lamb in his first season or just the more commercial breeds?

I've heard bothopinions from different breeders, what's anyones experience, please.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS