Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ATV, quads, 4x4 - what's what?  (Read 38426 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
ATV, quads, 4x4 - what's what?
« on: October 26, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »
Can someone explain to a (very) simple woman what's the difference berween all these things? I was wondering today IF we replaced one of our cars with Landrover or similar vehicle with  4 wheel drive, would we be able to get mainly grass maintenance equipment like a harrow, roller, mower that could be pulled by it? I've seen these wee four wheel bikes with equipment advertised and some of it is quite reasonably priced.

As usual, we have to try to get anything to do as much as possible - and I just can't see myself going to work on a quad bike...

Scooby

• Joined Oct 2007
  • In between worlds!
Re: ATV, quads, 4x4 - what's what?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:27:12 pm »
I just can't see myself going to work on a quad bike...

YEEEEHAW.... oh I can... certainly give the gossips somit else to talk aboot!  ;)
A hug is for life, NOT just for Christmas!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:36:34 am »
i was thinking a quad would proberably be the best solution, some are road legal and would be much cheaper to run than a 4x4! you can get all different design's and get everything you can think of to pull along behind it!

spreaders, mowers etc:

http://www.quad-x.com/

quads:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/buying/quad-centre-bikes.jsp

;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:17:40 pm »
don't forget you could always convert to bio diesels lol expensive to start with but cheaper and enviro better in the long run
lol

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:45:28 pm »
quad bikes are great Logic GB do a whole range of attachments and accessories for them
there is a good range of quad bikes on PV Dobson.

Gav

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:22 pm »
If you decide to go down the Quad/ATV route I can highly recommend Polaris. They may be a little more expensive initially but with a diesel option available and their legendary build quality its well worth the extra few £s. I have a Honda myself (1984 no less and still going strong!) so I can't really fault them either!
Don't be fooled by any of these cheapo road-legal 'Ebay bargains' as they're pretty unreliable and not much cop when the going gets a little muddy. In other words you get what you pay for and if something seems too good to be true it probably is.

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »
Hey

i would not reccommend polaris to anyone because they are not very strong in the way of materials made to make them and tend to break!

Gav

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:08:40 pm »
weve had a 4wd honda and a2wd one both are realy good, but the 4wd went alot more places than the 2 and towed alot more weight.  both of them have been rolloed a few times :o but boys will be boys :D the 2wd even ended up skyward facing up a tree ;D but they both carried on working after! weve also got a little 125 honda and thats wicked  ;D very good for the size of it
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »
I only have knowledge of the Polaris engines which I've found to be extremely reliable.

My trike just earned its keep. Its just spent 3 solid days pulling felled treea and shrubs from one end of our land to the other. Got it stuck (too much weight/tree trunk wedged on wall) a few times but all in all very good and fun at the same time.
I've learned a lot about towing (tree stumps with a rope) technique this week. Mainly, DON'T TRY IT! All was going swimmingly until a stump overtook me (on a bend) and pulled the trike from under me LOL! Serves me right for speeding!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »
I have a Honda 4wd automatic can also be driven manually can't fault them, great for carting bales of hay front and back in the winter, but also have a small tractor (hubby drives).
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
I have just been given an old suzuki lt230 which works but smokes (needs new rings) does anyone know much about them? I also need a towbar for it as the original fell off sometime ago. Help most welcome please.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:03 am »
you could do it yurself, but i would get it booked in somewhere for a complete service ect.
get them to do the rings, and fit the towbar and to do anything else thats not quite right. it'l cost in the beginning but theres nothing worse than a broken down quad just when you need it  ::)
we use ours all the time for one thing or another, as they soon become worth there weight in gold!! ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »
got the quad fixed, jeff did the rings and built a tow hitch, managed to get a tipper trailer for it from a farm sale for £15.52! It is going brilliantly and makes cleaning up after the horses a doddle (Roy gave Holly a little mountfield tractor which the trailer fits perfectly as well).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:38:46 pm »
Can't see you going into the Council office carpark in a quad somehow, Rosemary. ;)  :) I had a Subarus Forester and also a Legacy - both 4 x 4, both well built sturdy beasts but both were a bit thirsty. >:(  My Zafira goes anywhere, and has LOADS of space in it - not 4 x 4, but very willing, but it's not what you need.
I've heard that Land Rovers often break down but parts reasonably inexpensive.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 10:47:02 pm »
i would disagree i have a polaris 500cc quad and i find it power full and fantastic fule economy ive ad mine for ages and wen i help out at a mates farm he has one as well and they had it from new theres in 6 yrs old its a gem and it goes fast as across the farm  i luv em like any thing problems hapen but thats standard on any thing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS