Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sexing the runner ducks  (Read 8864 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Sexing the runner ducks
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:57 pm »
I have noticed that some of my young runners have different coloured beaks from the others, they are paler in colour, would be great if I could tell their sex by their beaks as I haven't a clue yet as no one has a curly tail  :-\
Anne

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Sexing the runner ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:30:37 pm »
I vent sex all geese and ducklings at two days old! Its really easy with a wee bit of practice, I think there are how to vids on you tube or just google it... It makes life much easier!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:12 am »
I do it by voice. Female ducks have a proper quack and the males don't. :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:18 am »
Sadly the beaks aren't distinctive between males and females.

As Bodger says, the females quack and the males sound like they've got very sore throats  :)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »
Here is a good video for you all, it saves you having to rear all you duckling til 6-8 wks old only to find the mojority are males! I sell the extra males at day old depending on the breed, as the cute fluffyness means that they make a better price than an adult that I"ve spent time and money rearing! What she says about colour relates to her laying duck strain specifically and may work for appleyards etc but otherwise just ignore that part. The actual vent sexing really is as easy as it looks in the video and I have done it up to four weeks of age with 100% accuracy! Give it a go on your next batch of ducklings :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxoNaQtjb7M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuxoNaQtjb7M
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:11:34 pm by roddycm »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »
I'll give it a go, it could be extremely handy. :fc:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »
I think mine could be a little p****d off if I try to vent sex them now so will just have to pick them up and listen for the quack  ;D :&>
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS