Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Property ads can be sooooooo annoying  (Read 5356 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Property ads can be sooooooo annoying
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
OK ... found a lovely barn with a nice strip of land, offers around £100,000 for the barn and £15 K for the land...
Ohhhh that sounds good i thought, and only 20 miles from here,

so i had a quick drive past as you do.... yep! ile book a viewing..... so this morning i got on the phone, and the vendor is turning away offers of........£180.000 just for the derelict Barn...
why can't they simply put offers around the £200,000 mark for those who have shed loads of dough

on the other side of the coin....the one we looked at two weeks ago ..where i said the neighbours mum said he  won't allow services to cross his land...well it turns out that signed a contract when he bought the place to say he can't stop services to other properties and he MUST allow them ...so that means, electric is actually there and it wont cost over £50K to get it to the Barn

my head is spinning , no wonder i can't sleep

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Property ads can be sooooooo annoying
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:51:56 pm »
I found that at auctions - guide price on one (usually lower value) property is set unrealistically low as a teaser to get more people interested in it.

I suppose the old adage applies - if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

on the other side of the coin....the one we looked at two weeks ago ..where i said the neighbours mum said he  won't allow services to cross his land...well it turns out that signed a contract when he bought the place to say he can't stop services to other properties and he MUST allow them ...so that means, electric is actually there and it wont cost over £50K to get it to the Barn

sounds like they were just trying to put you off - maybe want it themselves? (can't rememeber what you said before) - you've still got to decide if you want them for neighbours though.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
Hi Mab,

your right about auction teaser prices,
but this one wasn't in an auction

http://search.struttandparker.com/residential/silverton-exeter-ex5/15052
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:37:46 am by john and helen »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:00:11 am »
It's not just the prices that are annoying but the details and pictures often leave a lot to be desired.
By looking at google we found that one property was next to the railway line, something the details had omitted.
Their photographers alway manage to get pics that don't show the half dozen pylons standing in the garden or a rubbish tip within a few metres.
It's especially frustrating if you are driving 5 hours to see a property as we were doing at the time.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:25:27 am »
It's not just the prices that are annoying but the details and pictures often leave a lot to be desired.
By looking at google we found that one property was next to the railway line, something the details had omitted.
Their photographers alway manage to get pics that don't show the half dozen pylons standing in the garden or a rubbish tip within a few metres.
It's especially frustrating if you are driving 5 hours to see a property as we were doing at the time.

This is where streetview and google maps are your friend!
There was a recent ish example which had the nuclear power station just out of shot!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
I know what you mean ..... I went 4 hour round trip to see 2 potentials close to each other  ...... the first was a gate width from the pub (somehow the angle of photo made it look totally out on own) the second  lovely setting until you walked up the hill and realised the rear boundary was the edge of a deep active quarry complete with daily blastings!   

Hang in there to right one will suddenly appear!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:43 am »

Oh, this happened to us.  We drove from Norfolk to Dumfries to see a property. The land was a long, not very wide plot of about 10 acres - the entire length of the land bordered the back gardens of a very undesirable council estate - not somewhere I would want to put livestock!!!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:00:20 am »
My pet hate is the word "benefit" in property ads. "The property benefits from electric storage heating throughout".

Oh no, it bloody doesn't . It suffers from storage heating!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:07 am »

;D

This is where streetview and google maps are your friend!

Another useful site is streetmap.co.uk - if you zoom out once you get an OS map on screen which will show any footpaths/ROW there are (something else estate agents are keen to gloss over).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
Another one to watch out for, in more rural areas, is whether anyone's applied for planning permission for a wind farm.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »
We went down to Devon to look at a house, a  bit before street view times, when we got there the view was lovely but not  until you crossed the duel carriageway....that was a waste, our house was Google maped when it had too many trees and so was the house we sold, the funny thing was, when we looked at where my husband was brought up, a zoom into his bedroom window showed a huge poster saying "GAY" that made us both laugh :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
I more recently looked at a stunning house near a new train line but on google it just looked like rough land but now its actualy very neat and tidy around the area sooooo, it can work both ways!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »
Flash Earth is very useful too and you don't need to download it like Google Earth.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:33:28 am »
oh yes can work both ways place by us for sale at a little over reasonable terrible pictures only got 2 viewings we bought it 6 months down the line for 51% of the asking price  :excited:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:33 am »
Have you seen the bungalow with 5 acres AOC just outside teignmouth up with Stags, Its up for Tender.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:41 am »
i seen the 5 acres, but don't know if its the one your on about, this had no bungalow,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS