Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gooseberry Jam  (Read 4065 times)

HappyHippy

Gooseberry Jam
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »
I made jam today (for the first time, ever  ;D) it's turned out lovely, so I thought I'd share the recipe (it's super easy too)  :thumbsup:

1Kg gooseberries
1Kg sugar.
Top and tail the berries and add them and 150ml of water to a pan.
Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the sugar and stir til disolved, then increase heat and boil for 10 minutes (I stirred every minute or so because it wasn't a heavy bottomed pan and I was worried it would catch)
Test for set (spoonful onto a frozen plate, leave for a minute then push your finger through - if it wrinkles it's done)
Bottle and cap while still warm.

I was 200g short on gooseberries so nipped out to collect some wild raspberries from the hedge to make up the quantity and also added a bit of cinnamon powder too  :yum:
Apologies if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, but as a jam novice I was quite impressed by how easy it was.......can see me making more  :yum:  :excited:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Gooseberry Jam
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:03 pm »
I made my first gooseberry jam this year in the slow cooker and it is all finished so it must have been good
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:17:58 pm »
anyone got a good rowan berry jam?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »
I'd expect rowan would just be the same - but they're fairly 'tart' so you might need more sugar  :thinking:
I'll see if I can find any  :thumbsup:

Edit: here's a link http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/rowanjelly.htm
Let us know how it turns out (I've got loads of berries around  :excited:)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:10:58 pm by HappyHippy »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:09 pm »
Well done, Karen and anyone else making jam atm.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
Yummy!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:19 am »
I've never understood why in Britain you add water to jam, and then boil it forever to get rid of it again... Seems to me a waste of energy! (If you leave the sugar on the fruit for a little while it draws plenty of moisture, so it won't burn.)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:10 pm »

Nice one happy hippy :thumbsup: :yum:
Black birds ate most of my gooseberries.

Well done, Karen and anyone else making jam atm.

I made jam for the first time yesterday. Apple & blackcurrant.
Also made 2 types of marmalade, 1 jelly and 3 types of chutney (not all made yesterday)
Lots more jams, jellies and chutneys to make over the coming weeks. No more marmalade that was a one off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS