Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone selling milk locally? - Perth area  (Read 5627 times)

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Anyone selling milk locally? - Perth area
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:09:40 pm »
Hi there,

This may be an odd sounding request and also possibly in the wrong forum but I would very much like to buy milk straight from the farmer. We are taking part in a 'plastic free lifestyle' experiment and I am really struggling to find milk which is not in tetra pack or plastic. I grew up in Germany and it was and in some parts still is common practice in the rural areas to take your milk bottle and get the milk from the farmers. Apart from the plastic element I find the milk is much nicer fresh anyway....

I presume there will be some health and hygiene regulations in place which make it hard for small farms to sell their own milk but I would be happy to give it a try!

Please get in touch if you have any ideas!
Thanks  :)
Chrissie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Anyone selling milk locally? - Perth area
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »
It's illegal to sell unpasteurised milk in Scotland.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:51:47 am »
Hi Chrissie,

I asked a friendly farmer last year if I could buy/barter some milk from him and he said there was absolutely no way, if anyone found out, he'd loose his contract, it was a total no-no (and I was only talking about the odd pint here and there). I guess you'll have to get a cow or some lady goats  ;D  I can show you how to hand milk if you need?

If you were super keen to avoid plastic, Lidl do tins of powdered milk, and you could reconstitute at home  :-[

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:54 am »

If you were super keen to avoid plastic, Lidl do tins of powdered milk, and you could reconstitute at home  :-[

Do they do that again? They stopped selling it around here - it was (and still is) my standby as I don't have a fridge!

To illustrate how stupid the entire system is: When I was at college (about 12 years ago now), I lived on the college farm. To buy the organic milk that was produced not 50 metres from my bed, I had to walk 3 miles to Tesco's and buy what had been carted down south several 100 miles for processing and then carted back up to the shop...

I know people who have organic raw milk sent up from England (to Aberdeenshire), with ice packs to keep it cool. Must be incredibly expensive, but then some people seem to have money to spend... ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:18:40 am by Ina »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:44 am »
Oooh... will have to check... was possibly a year since I last purchased, but bought a fair bit for the back of cupboard, so I still see the tins often and just assumed they still sell it. (Another post, another apology; sorry didn't mean to accidentally misinform you Chrissie.)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40:47 am »
Oooh... will have to check... was possibly a year since I last purchased, but bought a fair bit for the back of cupboard, so I still see the tins often and just assumed they still sell it. (Another post, another apology; sorry didn't mean to accidentally misinform you Chrissie.)

A few months ago I noticed that they were selling it out - bought quite a lot at that time, and haven't checked since then, either! But sometimes they sell out one particular item only for it to re-appear a few months later, so maybe we are in luck.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:42:07 pm »
I know people who have organic raw milk sent up from England (to Aberdeenshire), with ice packs to keep it cool. Must be incredibly expensive, but then some people seem to have money to spend... ::)

Hmm, kind of wonder how organic that is  ???

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »
If you know of a local goatkeeper (not a commercial farm, but a hobbykeeper) s/he can sell you raw goatsmilk for "animal" consumption (as in cats and dogs, lambs etc), no problems. What you do with the milk afterwards is your problem....

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
If you know of a local goatkeeper (not a commercial farm, but a hobbykeeper) s/he can sell you raw goatsmilk for "animal" consumption (as in cats and dogs, lambs etc), no problems. What you do with the milk afterwards is your problem....
Just check it's been filtered etc to 'human' standard - can't do with Fido being poorly  ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »
Just check it's been filtered etc to 'human' standard - can't do with Fido being poorly  ;)

Of course! ;D

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »
Thanks for all the info - always amazed me how difficult it is to live 'simple'....slightly ironic.....

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:54 am »

Hmm, kind of wonder how organic that is  ???

Yeah, well... ::)

As you can gather, it's not me doing it!

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:28 pm »
Oh the joy of getting milk straight from the cow, can remember the large earthen bowl of milk cooling in the milk house, skimming off the double cream, then having the cool milk next morning with my bowl of brose - heaven.
You have to buy a tub of cream to mix in with todays rubbish to make it bearable. Bring back the old house cow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS