Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: transportation of livestock  (Read 1613 times)

Mount-B

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Nr Cupar
transportation of livestock
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:16 pm »
With the closure of St Andrews abattoir I now have to take my lambs over the 65Km limit to slaughter. I was led to believe that I would require a type one authorisation. Which requires you to have a certificate of competency (course costs £70). On reading the legislation fully there is a flow diagram 30 pages in, that states if the journey is not in connection with economic activity  ( slaughter for own use) then No transport authorisation is required. Checked this with the welfare in transport team in Carlisle and they confirmed that was correct. £70 saved

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: transportation of livestock
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:07 pm »
That's correct, I tried to sign up for the cert but was told by the authorities that it wasn't appropriate when I described my scenario.

It's still a scandal, the abbatoir situation tho! Our journey isn't much better but is just on the distance limit at least.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: transportation of livestock
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:58 pm »
The abattoir situation is a scandal, our nearest one was 40 miles away and since it closed my animals have 100 mile journey. I did take the certs so can now transport pigs,goats,sheep and horses. Didn't do the poultry one as that was another £60.
Although I am not happy about it I send mine off on livestock transport as I would have to go around Newcastle  probably during rush hour. It does actually work out a lot cheaper too.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS