Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please : Re-occuring skitty bum  (Read 9250 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Help please : Re-occuring skitty bum
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:29 pm »
And yes, fluke is often associated with runny poo and loss of weight.  By the time you see the 'bottle jaw', the condition is fairly far gone.
I lost a lamb to suspected fluke this winter and the only hint really was her very pale membranes and she was quite thin. No runny bum at all

Yes, it's worth clarifying - a runny bum doesn't mean it isn't fluke.  Equally, fluke does not always cause a runny bum.  It does pretty much always cause loss of thrift.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:01 am »

Cocci would show up on a FEC, wouldn't they?

They bloody ought to - if they don't whoever is doing the FEC isn't doing their job.

Yes they do show up, but a high cocci count doesn't mean anything in an adult sheep.

Cocci needs a different flotation solution than for a wormer fec I believe. Also there are many different species, only 2 affect sheep adversely and am not sure that you would actually get the species identified by a vets fec.      Most adult sheep should be immune if they have had exposure, just occasionally an adult sheep will not have acquired immunity as a lamb and can have problems as an older sheep according to the manufacturers vet. We saw this in one ewe that had persistent scouring a few years back and she showed a rapid response to vecoxan.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:18 am »
The advantage of vecoxan is its a 'cheap' treatment if your vet will dispense small amounts and it has no resistance issues like wormers.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:09:10 am »
The advantage of vecoxan is its a 'cheap' treatment if your vet will dispense small amounts and it has no resistance issues like wormers.

But if not it's very expensive.... for acute coccidiosis in young lambs/kids etc Intradine is cheap, but needs injecting for 3 to5 days in a row. It works for me.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »
For non-acute coccidiosis, then the buckets work fine. For acute coccidiosis, you might need to use vecoxan.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
Any more news on this ?  I've had this happen to two Shetland hoggets a couple of years ago - tested, wormed, fluked and even after vecoxan they continued to scour.  Eventually just sent them down the road.

I'd really like a solution for the future as it doesn't seem to affect a whole crop, just the odd individual.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »
no sorry Calv, emailed my vet last week about vecoxan but she has been on leave, will phone this week to see what response is.  The ewe in question is looking happy and oblivious otherwise I must say - keep checking the rear end but there doesn't look like fresh droppings there and she's hungry and eating / grazing so  ???  she's still alive and happy and the rest have no problems... ??? 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:26 am »
Checking her this morning before I phone the vet, she's got bottle jaw and I read from previous posts on this website that she'll be pretty far down the line for a recovery  :-\ .  She's been wormed twice with different wormers and fluked (few weeks back), so don't know what else to do .... any advice anyone? calling the vet anyroad.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:33:17 am »
Repeated fluke treatments might do it, your vet should be able to advise the best course.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 11:03:24 am »
She'll have had vits and mins to help her generally?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:44 pm »
thanks both, she's going to the vet on wednesday in a dog crate as she wants to get a look at her, yes she has combivit and I can dose her as I have the bottle (I haven't done that yet actually, will talk to vet tomorrow about that too).  she's only 2yrs and a nice wee lass so would like to help her (the ewe, not the vet  ::) )

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:15 pm »
Got her to the vet today along with fresh poo sample which she tested while I was there - no worm count so its not that.  Lungs were a bit noisey - she did a test (in the car park) of holding her like a
wheelbarrow  ;D  but no fluid coming out of the nose.  Could possibly be pneumonia (spelling) but we don't know.  She won't survive long when the weather gets cold, she's too skinny poor thing.  Vet gave her vitamin booster and a steroid but  :fc:  really.  She's happy for now, doesn't look in pain - I did say I would have her PTS if there was any problems or that she would be passing infection to the others but vet thinks that would have happened by now anyway  ::) .  So she's here for now, and that's all we can do  :fc:

Thank you all.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
you know - some sheep just are skinny/framey. I have had sheep who look poor/thin and yet give me good lambs, raise them and do it again the next year.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:05 pm »
I know a few mums like that Steve, not me unfortunately  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS