Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to stop cats chewing cables?  (Read 2402 times)

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
How to stop cats chewing cables?
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »
Just had a mini meltdown, lost it at one of my cats, poor cow - she chewed through my ethernet cable while I am trying to do stuff on-line and the wireless is so crap - I just flipped. My fault entirely, it was dangling down, tempting her, and she had a little go at it earlier but I caught her before any harm done but I still wasn't careful about moving the excess out of the way.

The cable got chewed before, I blamed the puppy and probably was him that time, but we've lost the phone cable to the sky box, power leads to upstairs phone, laptop and printer (luckily all have transformers so no frazzled animals) but these were all away from the dogs so can't blame them...After last time I bought all the bits so I have just shortened the ethernet cable and put a new connector on, but I'll run out of bloody cable before long  :rant:

Any suggestions of what I could do? I can get some/most things out of the way of animals but there will always be some cable somewhere they can reach.

I'm thinking something to physically protect cables or that smell/taste bad in case they do try eating them again?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:54:58 pm by ferretkeeper »
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: How to stop cats chewing cables?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:17:10 pm »
Run them inside hosepipe is probably the safest.

You can buy 'bitter apple' or similar 'stop chewing' sprays at pet shops.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »
The hosepipe is a good idea, our dogs/pups would do the same when young but they are in a lean too so no cables to get at and when they come in, the cables are near to me BUT, in the past we also have had cables chewed and our chocolate lab used to wake us up by pulling at the BT phone cable and she bit threw that........also what about putting some pipe lagging around the ones that are within tempting reach.....they also love remote controls and glasses. I suppose  you could hide as many cables as possible but I know we have a fair few under our computer and TV......and cats can get to them ::)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:04 pm »
my gsd chewed through my internet cable when she was a pup, and my terrier has chewed halfway through my laptop cable. never had a problem with cats though!
there is a tube that covers electric wires, its designed to be a cable tidy and is a few metres long or can be cut to measure and it covers a few wires at the same time. it would definitely protect against cats teeth but not dogs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS