Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds and where to start .....  (Read 4795 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Weeds and where to start .....
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »
Hi.
Our bottom field is just a mass of creeping buttercup, rushes and docks. I'm surprised the sheep can find any grass!
A burn runs through it and it floods a bit sometimes (the council keep coming to look at the drainage pipes going under the road, but nothing changes so I'm not sure how much we can do about drainage....) .
So far I've done nothing with it, but I've looked at fertiliser, lime, getting the pigs on it or digging the whole lot up ( which seems expensive). Or planting something else on it.
I'm not sure what to try first and don't want to spend money on the wrong decision.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Joanne xxxxxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Weeds and where to start .....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:33:49 pm »
Rushes and docks can be controlled by regular topping, aided and abetted by the right sort of stock - sheep and/or cattle.  If you can't top then it's weed-wiping.

Creeping buttercup needs pigs or lime.  I haven't personally tried lime but I can vouch for pigs.  They did also take out all the established docks, but we still have loads of young docks coming up.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »
we have a burn on our boundary and we are also on the nitrate zone, we have buttercups, rushes and ragwort but im too worried to spray anything so close to water incase Sepa fine me. its quite wet so i imagine weedkiller would seep away into the river easily.
the cattle have cleared it really well.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »
Good point about putting stuff on so close to water, thanks.
Looks like the pigs are moving...
Thank you xxxxx

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »
The pigs will enjoy grazing it down Joanne  :thumbsup:
If you're moving them over now, while it's still fairly mild & dry, there's no need to move their arc, just knock a temporary shelter together with some old pallets (or similar) no need for floors etc.  ;)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »
the only thing with pigs is they leave massive clods of earth and the weeds grow back anyway. its really difficult to walk over pasture / land a pig has been on unless its been disc harrowed and rolled.
our place is a mess now after the pigs but they did enjoy themselves while they were here  ::) ::)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:54:51 am »
Our place had horses on it before we got here and was full of ruts with rushes and loads of creeping buttercup. The sheep and OH's regular topping with a strimmer have made a huge amount of difference.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:01 am »
the only thing with pigs is they leave massive clods of earth and the weeds grow back anyway. its really difficult to walk over pasture / land a pig has been on unless its been disc harrowed and rolled.
our place is a mess now after the pigs but they did enjoy themselves while they were here  ::) ::)
Ah, but it's Kunekunes Joanne has  ;) Not quite as bulldozer-ish as other breeds  :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »
I would advise against disturbing the soil if you have docks.  The soil will contain lots of dock seeds which remain viable for 10years+, so will start growing as soon as they are brought to the surface.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 02:09:19 pm »
I would advise against disturbing the soil if you have docks.  The soil will contain lots of dock seeds which remain viable for 10years+, so will start growing as soon as they are brought to the surface.

i think this why wev never got the weeds under control on our place. even with spraying, the next they are back again.
the land was wild for 15 yrs before we moved here so loads of seeds lying there. 

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:28 am »
Drat, no magic spell to rid weeds then? The land I'm looking at is covered with a whole variety of weeds and I can't use weed killer because of the water as well. :( (Goats have been suggested). I'm not sure what used to live on the land. There are small animal shelters dotted about on the worst effected field. This is covered in docks now all gone too seed, it's also the wettest field. I may just leave it and plant the trees there and hope nothing survives the shade cover. (I want an area of wood).
Constant clearing may be the only option with the rest, so far only stingers and thistles.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS