Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to buy a trailer? Northumberland/Cumbria/Co Durham  (Read 3620 times)

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Where to buy a trailer? Northumberland/Cumbria/Co Durham
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »
I'd like to find out whether I'm looking for the right type of trailer and if possible some suggestions or recommendations where to buy such a trailer in the Northumberland/Cumbria/County Durham area.

I know there are a number of factors to take into account so here are the main points I have so far...
  • A new one might be better in the hope it lasts a long time (you're never quite sure with second-hand stuff)
  • Nothing too large is needed - The initial reason for buying is to take 2 Tamworth weaners to the abattoir in early November but I'd like to plan for other possibilities in future
  • The towing will be done using a 2010 Subaru Forester (towing capacity of 2 tonnes I think?)
After searching the web I'm guessing something about 8'x5' would do the job nicely but maybe 9'x5' would allow for future needs too?

For example an Ifor Williams P6/P8 or maybe the Bateson 40LT if I've understood the information on their websites

I'm hoping that because it's all new to me this probably seems far more complicated than it really is but can anyone reassure me that I'm on roughly the right lines?

Thanks!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Where to buy a trailer? Northumberland/Cumbria/Co Durham
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:25:17 pm »
Personally I think second hand from a reputable dealer is OK. They will usually check over and offer a short warranty.

Have you thought about hiring?

Dealers will sometimes hire trailers (and if used infrequently can be a better option)

For anyone in West Wales CLH (who make trailers) also hire them out.

http://www.clhtrailers.com

Incidentally Dickinson Trailers in Northumberland also stock CLH trailers which are worth looking at as well.

http://dicksontrailers.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
This is what I have - and pretty much everyone round here, for their small trailers. Think it's a CLH. It'll take 10 ewes or 10 small bales easily. I tow it with my X-trail.

I bought it from R.M. McWhirters, in Nateby, nr Kirkby Stephen, who are my local agricultural merchants. They almost always have one in stock. (017683 71557).

It is 7'6" x 4'6" There is an internal dividing gate, which can be put in two positions, it has gates on the ramp, and you can have it with a jockey wheel or not. The top comes off, and half the sides, so it can be a open trailer too. You can see more pics on their website www.fellviewgarage.co.uk

Mine cost £1300 new a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:23:46 pm by jaykay »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »
We bought our big Ifor Williams second hand from Alan Tuer, just outside Carlisle, he is a registered IW dealer and was very helpful.  Last month, we bought a smaller CLH trailer from Dickson Trailers, near Berwick, so I can tow it with our XTrail if OH is away with the truck.  I am very impressed with it, and think they are probably better value for money than IW, although we really like our IW too.  The people at Dickson's were also very helpful.  Ours can take 10 tups, or slightly more ewes or lambs, and has one gate, which can easily be put into three different positions.  The top can lift off if you wanted to use it for, say, logs, and the sides can come off too if you just want a flat bed.  Also, the top can stay attached at the front and pivot up at the back, so you don't have to crawl in on your hands and knees to shut the middle gate, and you can drive a quad bike in, get off, put the lid down and lock it.  It has gates on the back ramp, and also a door within the ramp.  They did smaller ones too which would be fine for a couple of pigs, we didn't really need one quite as big as we got, but it just seemed even better value than the smaller ones.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
Thanks to everyone for the various links and advice - particularly the idea of hiring which I might consider just for this first time at least.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:21:49 pm »
Discovered yesterday after a big of a transport crisis situation, that you can also fit a shetland pony in our small trailer!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS