Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep turnover crate  (Read 14537 times)

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
Re: sheep turnover crate
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:29 am »

hi  there I got a mixed collection of texels mules lynn ewes all put to texel tups.  My jobs back breaking so I were wondering whether a crate would be a good idea.

Firther where where you when I posted about crossing my Lleyns - may pm you!

I suspect your texel crosses will be bigger than my lleyns.  There is probably a degree of incompetence in getting the crate to close tightly with the poldenvale but the more sprightly ewes would get there legs out and be in wrong position when we dropped it down.  Not being in a race you have to 'push' the ewes in - more back breaking than tipping. Went back to hubbie tipping the me quickly trimming, but not the single handed solution i wanted. I'd see one in operation before you buy.

I think the thing with using texel tups is all about getting ewes in perfect condition, by that I mean if your corning them up in before due date you don't want to give them 2 much or you will have problems but you don't want them having 2 little either. I've found that the mules llyns etc will have less problems than a texel ewe and all using a texel tup.

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:31 am »
[quote author
Firthir I've realised that when the lad next door stacked my hay, he's buried the crate, so it may take me a couple of days before I can shift enough hay to unearth it. Will do so and send a pic as soon as I can.
[/quote]

cheers mate that's sound :thumbsup:

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:00:01 am »
this foot trimming debate I think needs some facts and figures, I mean what breeds are people using when culling etc.
I can't see people spending hundreds and into thousands of pounds though on pedigree sheep and culling them to foot rot. Not that I spend that much ;D

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:53 am »
I think that breed or type of sheep is irrelevant to the trimming feet debate
If you cull animals that need routine foot attention you will get rid of the problem
I have used this approach with Lleyns, Wiltshires and Exlanas with the same results =minimum foot care required

I recently went into terminal sire production with Charollais sheep and in the first batch of 34 ewes bought in I got rid of 2 in the first month for feet offences.
As a seller of stock I need to produce sheep that are fit for purpose, no ram buyer is going to come back to me if the stock he buys need treating for feet (or any other problem) all the time

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
Having owned an ironworks crate it works very well but i had to attach a set of wheels in order to make it mobile as it was to heavy to move on my own

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS