Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pecking.  (Read 2569 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Pecking.
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:41:42 am »
I have been given two laying hens and one of them has been pecking the other leaving bald spots.  The balding hen also has a bare bottom which doesn't look as though its the result of the pecking.  Is there a spray that can be used on the bald hen that makes it less attractive to the pecking one?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Pecking.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:09:39 am »
yes, we got anti pecking spray from our farm shop, terrible tasting stuff but it does work.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:35:27 am »
Nettex do an anti-pecking spray. It's like a thin mix of Stockholm Tar. It does work, but both the bottles we bought leaked at the pump when they were still half full. Leaves the poor victim covered in foul tasting stuff though, so we now use Bumpa beak bits on the bullies.

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:18:18 pm »
To disguise the redness to deter further pecking I would use purple spray (gentian violet) as used in the equestrian circles. Wear disposable gloves though and spray away from yourself as it is very staining. Available
at pet shops, tack shops and on line

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:15 pm »
I used to use bumpa beak bits, but in fact I think it's less bad to just trim the very end off the beak. If you just clip 1/8" with nail clippers off the top, you're not into the sensitive part but it means the two bits of beak don't meet perfectly- so you can't pull out your friends feathers!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »
I use purple spray to break the cycle. I've only really seen it in stressed hens though-usually ones that don't have enough space or enough to do although I guess it can become a habit. might be worth hanging up some veggies and old CDs for them and if you see them feather eating, give them some extra protein.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42:11 pm »

We have 4 Light Sussex (who I think are quite prone to it) and they all peck each other. Otherwise they seem fine, good egg production etc but bald bums!

We use the purple spray although to be honest I don't think it does anything, and we've tried the Nettex spray as well. I've given them extra protein, things to keep them occupied etc but nothing has made a difference!

I've come to the conclusion it's a bad habit they've gotten into. I don't have the space to split them apart at the moment, but interestingly we've recently introduced new chickens and a cockeral and the Light Sussex spend so long trying to curry favour with Colin they don't seem to bother with each other now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS