Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lone pig.....decisions decisions.....  (Read 9359 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Lone pig.....decisions decisions.....
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 11:19:00 pm »
Orphan Percy Pig isn't even on the agenda! Lol I hope he finds a home though.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 11:28:35 pm »
She is actually registered and has 12 teats evenly spaced.  However I'm thinking as lovely as she is that I don't want 2 full time sows or endless litters of pigs.  I would have liked to have had a nice sow who raises the odd litter for me to eat/sell, who we can enjoy and look after. I could have a sow for company now, send her away when gp farrows; keep gp's daughter for company until gp farrows again...etc. But is a year too long to keep a meat pig? Ie would it be fattier?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:20 pm »
iv sent 14 mth old gilt away and she was delicious, wasnt too fatty really - i self-butchered her. the problem is finding an abattoir to kill her if she over the 120kg limit many abattoirs have.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 08:20:37 pm »
You could get a series of in-pig gilts, I suppose.  Sows should be either in-pig or lactating, or fertility can suffer.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:23 am »
GP is booked in for Monday :(

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
Aw really feel for you but I am sure you have made the right decision given your horrible run of luck  :hug:
Time to look forward now. I am sure that gp will be delicious, you will now have a bit of breathing space to take stock and plan.
Anne

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:44 pm »
Aw really feel for you but I am sure you have made the right decision given your horrible run of luck  :hug:
Time to look forward now. I am sure that gp will be delicious, you will now have a bit of breathing space to take stock and plan.
I agree  :hug:
Get the winter over and done with and start fresh next year I'm seriously reducing pig numbers this year, (having had 72 through the winter last year !) because it's really hard going in the winter  :(

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing  :hug: :-*

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »
Bumblebear, I know it doesn't make the decision any easier for you but I think you have made the right decision too.  It will give you clear time to think everything through before starting again.
Best wishes
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:55 pm »
One of the reasons was that my heart siinks a bit every time I see her lying in the ark, there is a splt second when I wonder if she will get up or not.  I said to hubby that we can't be sure she won't contract eri, even though she is vaccinated and we can't cope with the stress of watching her or of losing more money (and meat!) if she does contract it and goes the same way as the others.  Sad though.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:16 pm »
I know that feeling. When mine died (and we still don't know what she died of) I was afraid to go and feed the other one in the mornings in case I found her dead in the ark like her sister.
The vet said that unless she was showing any symptoms then to send her off as planned and that, if there was anything wrong, the abattoir would find it. It was a great relief, that not only did they find nothing, but the butcher said she was a very good pig.  Phew
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:40 pm »
Well done on making a brave, common sense decision. On reflection, I think you need time to have a break and reconsider your plans before starting afresh. If you decide to opt for some Tamworths next time round, let me know and I'll try and find a good breeder within easy reach of you (sorry, I don't know where you are based). Good luck and enjoy your meat.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 08:05:09 am »
Hello!

Charlotte is my only breeding sow (well for a couple of weeks anyway ;)) and has, in the past been kept alone over winter.  I didn't realise at the time it was a problem for her and she is so domestic she used to wander all around the property.

She is now with her daughter Joan (of Arc) who will, hopefully be a replacement breeding sow, Joan has never been alone and I am getting two piglets for a friend for when Charlotte goes.... that will leave a period between Christmas and February when, hopefully, Joan farrows.... when she may be alone.  I am considering getting another female to stay with her permanently....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS