Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: number of sheep  (Read 7714 times)

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
number of sheep
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »
hi I was looking at getting some lambs in spring time is there a minimum number of lambs I have to have as I have seven acres but I only looking at 2-4 lambs  is that expectable or do I have to have a big flock many thanks john

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: number of sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
Do you mean how many to keep all the grass eaten?   2-4 won't eat down 7 acres and you would be better to keep that number in a smaller area of your land, partitioned off, so they graze what they have well down, before you move them onto the next bit.
From the point of view of whether the sheep will be content, anything above one will be fine, so they can have a mini flock.  Practically, it's better to have at least 3, just in case one dies.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:11:42 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:13:35 pm »
sorry for the confusion I was meaning the minimum number of lambs that can be kept thanks john

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:16:47 am »
sorry for the confusion I was meaning the minimum number of lambs that can be kept thanks john

Work on about 4-5 per acre - 4-5 sheep is roughly 1 grazing unit.

For comparison a cow is equal to 1 grazing unit and general rule of thumb is to graze 1 grazing unit/acre.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:45 am »
Lower stocking rate reduces worm burden and other nasties but you would have to use excess grass for hay or other stock. A vet reckoned at 1/acres you'd probably never have to worm or deal with foot problems nor vaccinate. I think 3 / acre is more the commercial norm which allows for a follower till weaning. Up to 6 for smaller / hardy / native breeds but the more sheep, the more input and costs required.

what was on the land before?  I cut all my fields for haylage before I brought anything onto it to 'clean' it of worms.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »
Smudger - 4-5 per acre is definitely the commercial norm - I only know because we have recently been doing a farm tenancy application and I have the numbers coming out of my ears!!   :-J

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »
Aaaah but then there is commercial and then there is commercial ;) :

but the more sheep, the more input and costs required.
[/size][/color]
[/size]And as my earlier post re pink eye/ flystrike, the more problems you will eventually see.[/color]

[/size]Where's stevehants? On holiday? He'd have summit to say...[/color]
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:54 pm »
Hahahaha.

3/ac +followers in summer, max (that isn't to say I dont rotate the grazing so there are actually more than that on any given area at any one time)

1.5 in winter.

Less sheep = more profit.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »
Aaaah but then there is commercial and then there is commercial ;) :

Well - that's according to the John Nics Farm Management handbook which, I understand, works on the most common ratios.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »
It depends on the quality of the grazing  :eyelashes:    Rough hill in an LFA is not going to support 6 sheep per acre, whereas juicy rich Cheshire grass might.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »
Lowland Hampshire grazing wont support that either, specially when it starts to burn off in summer....

You'd have to be very careful having 4-5/ac in summer, because anything goes slightly wrong with the weather etc, you suddenly have a massive feed bill etc - plus...where will you graze said sheep in winter?

3/ac summer, 1.5/ac winter breaks down very niceley to give you half your farm to make hay/summer graze cattle etc and let the sheep on it all over winter...

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:45 pm »
It depends on the quality of the grazing  :eyelashes:    Rough hill in an LFA is not going to support 6 sheep per acre, whereas juicy rich Cheshire grass might.

Yes - that's very true, of course we have been working on lowland grazing in Norfolk   ;)

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 05:50:22 pm »
I think what JEP is asking is the minimum number of lambs that would make the LAMBS relaxed and happy.  I would always have 3 of anything, just in case you lose one, you've then still got a pair and no panic about finding a friend.  But I've found that a group of 5 appears to make them most relaxed as a proper flock.

Is this what you're asking rather than stocking density ??

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »
thanks Calvadnack  you have got my question spot on that was what I was asking
many thanks john

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS