Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 7810 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
worming
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »
I am very new to pig keeping - infact I don't get my weaners until next week. When should I if I have to and how do I worm them. I only intend to rear them for meat not for breeding.
Karen

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:13:01 am »
To be absolutely sure, its best to worm them when you get them and again 4 weeks before you send them on.  You can buy wormers from the vets and possibly from the chemist, we put the appropriate dose into a jam sandwich never fails. 

I envy you the pleasures that await this being your first lot of pigs.  HM

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:00:07 am »
I am quite exited as this weekend we are making a pig ark - a family effort! we have bought what we need but have already got some items so we have only spent £35 - I do like a bargain  :) :) :)
Karen

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:11:49 pm »
Can I ask those who also live in France the name of the wormer they are using please and the approx cost please.
My vet seems to like using the more expensive variety and is encouraging me to also use their trial versions, which I am not sure about.
All advice gratefully received

Cheers
Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:24:28 pm »
We use an injectable solution for all parasites - internal and external -  which is about 46 euros for 50 mls. The last bottle we bought was 150 euros for 200mls so worth it to us will so many pigs. It can also be used on sheep,  goats and (with a very faint wisper because the vet told us not to spread it around),  the dogs as well.  The dogs have to be done monthly but the pigs, goats and sheep we do four monthly, although on virgin ground it should not be necessaryh to repeat the treatment earlier than six monthly.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:41:19 am »
Carole I bought equvalan off the web a while back, now its as easy to buy from the local chemist.

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 04:03:29 pm »
Hi just butting in, can I ask HM the wormer you buy locally does that do internal and external like the one Kate buys.

Ben

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:59 pm »
Hi Ben 10 no it does not, I buy a really strong flea killer, one spray murders everything.  The tammies are very prone to lice get sprayed once a month, (you can see the little blighters walking off the pigs when sprayed) the others as necessary.  If you can inject then Kate's method is far the best, me I would rather walk on hot coals than stick a needle in any of mine - coward that I am.  They have not created the crate that would hold H. long enough for me to stick the needle in and make a fast get away before she got out.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »
I am far from an expert with pigs but we inject ours and if you give a pig some grub they don't even notice the injection.....mind you , you have to be experiences at injections!! We use a large thick but short needle....pigs have skins like concrete ::) ;D (compared to sheep and humans that is ;D)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:31:27 am »
Last time the vet had to inject Hilary we tried food.  The vet ended up sitting backwards on Hil who made a pretty good impersonation of a Derby winner.  Not for the faint hearted.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 11:19:53 pm »
Our pigs are pretty good with a bucket of food in front of them - head down and in goes the needle - ouch!

Just a bit of training and bribery that is all that they need - yeh!!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS