Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Make do and mend - creating a sit on scythe mower  (Read 3385 times)

Ray Baxter

• Joined Aug 2013
  • The Scottish Borders
  • Proud to be a smallholder
    • New Mains Smallholding
Make do and mend - creating a sit on scythe mower
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »
Could be a motto for a smallholder (make do an mend). We needed a new lawnmower. We have worn out a brand new one with two years of continual use. We have about an acre of grass that needs cutting on a regular basis. We really need a sit on one, but have more important things to spend our cash on (house restoration, pond restoration, sluice gates, barn and so on. Our ‘make do and mend’ has been to take a working engine from broken Suffolk Punch lawnmower and fit this to an old Allen Scythe (1940’s ish) with a broken engine.  We had to make a little propshaft, engine support and buy a bearing and fit this with bolts with helicoils.

It is all done and it now runs really well. It cuts a much bigger surface area in a shorter time. Now it’s working we are thinking about cutting a bicycle in half and welding this to the allen scythe. Our very own three wheel lawnmower!! :thumbsup:

See here for pics  http://www.newmainsfarm.co.uk/blog.html

I wanted to add some pics to TAS but couldn't see how
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:03:31 pm by Ray Baxter »

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Make do and mend - creating a sit on scythe mower
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »
Very cool
Would love a Allen scythe for some of my tight unkept corners,
will have to keep looking for one in line with my budget!

Regards

Moel

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Make do and mend - creating a sit on scythe mower
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:25 am »
Like that Ray! We are looking to buy Austrian scythes to cut that sort of area, so that approach may be worth consideration, if only for the small difficult bits.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS