Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yet another *&*$@ing thing!  (Read 3282 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Yet another *&*$@ing thing!
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »
This time it's my milker, Simone, who has green mucous in her nostrils.  Any ideas?  I'm loathe to call the vet out yet again - although of course I won't see her suffer - but to be honest I'm on my knees with sick animals and vets.  She's eating fine and looks fine, just snotty.  It may be coincidence but one of our dogs suddenly has green snot and our pig has respiratory issues.....call me a conspiritist but maybe it's something a-changing in the air?!?!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Yet another *&*$@ing thing!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »
There has been a bug affecting goats, particularly those that have come into breathing distance of herds that have been to shows.  Snot in this case is generally clear ish , but can be greenish.   Seems to be airborne rather than direct contamination.
I generally leave them unlees the goat actually looks unwell, then administer antibiotics on Vet instructions.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »
Thank you.  I don't show and she hasn't come into contact with any other herd but she is fine other than the snot.  May be a stupid question but can we still drink the milk?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:44 pm »
There has been a bug affecting goats, particularly those that have come into breathing distance of herds that have been to shows.  Snot in this case is generally clear ish , but can be greenish.   Seems to be airborne rather than direct contamination.
I generally leave them unlees the goat actually looks unwell, then administer antibiotics on Vet instructions.

not heard anyone say theirs have been affected in the show circuit this year. my parents show season started may and neither them or anyone we know has had any illness in their herds. could be a regional thing.

if she is eating and acting normally i would just keep a eye on her.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
There have been "goat colds" doing the rounds all over the north of England and Scotland. I swear ours have had it twice  ::)

Ours all had clear snot mostly, and one or two had a little cough.

I would just keep an eye on her for now.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »
It's done and is still doing the rounds in Shropshire. My girls both had it and were fine. I did keep an eye on them but they showed no signs of being ill, just the snot and slightly rattly breathing.  The milk was fine.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:40 pm »
Thank you all.  It's snot city here with the dog, the goat and the rattly pig!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:12 am »
Yep, lots of snotty noses here too (Southern Scotland), started after Great Yorkshire show and still going on, mainly in the kids. and yes all of them are fine and uses my sleeves as tissues.... yuk!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »
I've just seen this post, and my three girls have all been a bit snotty despite the fact I haven't had them out anywhere! how weird! I thought maybe it was a reaction to the vacines but now clearly they've had a wee cold, they are all ok now though  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »
It doesn't seem to last long or bother them at all and yes, Anke, mine used my sleeves as well.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 01:35:37 am »
Mine nuzzle right up close before snorting in my face!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS