Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: concernd about rearing rare breed to eat!?!  (Read 5371 times)

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
concernd about rearing rare breed to eat!?!
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »
Hi there, I am new to this game and haven't bought any books yet. So can someone please tell me if rearing a rare breed to kill and eat is ok? Won't I just be adding to the problem by depleting stocks?!?
Or will I be helping by increasing the popularity of the breed or increase turnover of stock?!?
Please help as I haven't decided which type of pig to rear.
I am not intending to make ant money from this venture, just cover a few cost by selling the pork from my pig's pigpal.(you should have at least 2 right?!?!?) ???

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: concernd about rearing rare breed to eat!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:00:26 pm »
Hi Janette, it is perfectly acceptable to rear rare breed pigs for meat, it will be the most fantastic pork you've ever tasted! I have gloucester old spots, I chose them as they are generally friendly and docile, but there are many breeds that fit the first timer bill! a good book is 'starting with pigs' by Andy Case, gather as much info as you can before you start, anyone locally to you have pigs that you could visit? or a one day pig course? you're wise to think you wont make a profit, I look at it as a hobby that pays for itself! good luck, pigs are addictive!! :pig:

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:25 pm »
Its good to have concerns it shows your not just another one of the bandwagoners.. Jumping in to make some money!

As said before starting with pigs by Andy Case is a good book for beginers, as is teach yourself pig keeping by Tony York.

If you want a good all round Pig the Oxford Sandy & Black is well worth a look, VERY docile, very attractive on the eye, hardy, and they dont get too fatty as quickly as some others.

One thing i will say though dont buy commercial if you plan on eating them yourself, No fat and no flavour! Not Good in my eyes!

If you look back through the posts in this section at "Pig Pictures" at least i think thats what i called it! You can see one of my sows bred by Andy & Maureen Case.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

BB

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
They would be much rarer if nobody wanted to eat them. If we only bred for pets or petting corners in parks etc there would be no need to keep having litters of weaners to sell for breeding and eating. Great hobby with great rewards.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:57:16 pm »
You'll be doing the breed a favour. Its only because people havent been eating them that they've became rare breeds in the firsdt place. Combine that with the fact that only a minority of pigs within any breed are good enough to be bred from and I think that you're in the clear. :pig:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
I agree, if you don't buy them then the farmer won't breed them. S/He needs to sell weaners to pay for the upkeep of breeding stock, and to put a bit of food on the table. So, in short, much as it seems like a paradox, by buying and eating them you'll be ensuring the continuation of the breed.

Morgan

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:52:58 pm »
 8) Thats FANTASTIC thanks guys. It did seem a bit of aparadox 'cos I didn't know.  :dunce: Now I do!!! :yum: :yum: :yum:

My neighbour and good friend is not happy that I intend to kill and eat Pig1 and Pig2 (no names!!!) but I reminded her that she is not a veggie!!! Where does her meat come from???? What type of a life does that pig/cow/sheep/chicken have????

I have no doubt it will be hard/weird and there may even be a tear or three.... but it has to be done... just like the baby bunnies my dad used to breed/fatten/kill/eat.

There is the intelligence issue! If I can't have them killed then it is time I turned veggie.

My only problem was the rare breed issue :-* NOT A PROBLEM NOW THANKS :-*

I do have another question,  :dunce:Can you keep ducks and pigs together? Or do the pigs destroy the duck pond?

Thanks again everyone  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:35 pm »
Good for you and good decision.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »
If your neighbour and good friend knew where his/her pork was coming from, and the GM dross it was being fed s/he might sing a largely different tune. Personally i'm happier eating a pig that's well fed and lives a quality free range life than a Danish pig, for example (ref. Jamie Olivers saving our bacon), that's kept in captivity (sometimes in atrocious conditions), and fed genetically modified food. At least my pigs get six months of happiness. My hat is off to you for sticking to your principles.

Regards,

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:21:40 am »
The pigs will use the duck pond as a wallow.  Otherwise yes they can.  Our ducks and pigs are pretty free range and often share facilities.  Except that a certain pig has a passion for duck eggs, so that its a race in the morning to see who gets to them first.

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:13:42 pm »
Thanks Hilarysmum. Can you tell me if ducks need a pond? My sister has an old child's clam-pit paddling pool for hers but I think pig1&2 would trash it in minutes!!! I know they like swimming and would it be cruel for them not to have access to a pool/pond? They might b****r off into the river at the back if i'm not careful!!!!!
I'll have to think carefully about this!!!! We are partial to the gorgeous indian runner duck.  :love:

Thanks again Hillarysmum.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 06:18:45 pm »
Mine use the river and our pond, (the pigs would like to use the pond, and hilary often has) but its 2 acres and natural so they just leave heavy footprints.

One of our fields has a small pond which was originally a wallow which Hilary extended one warm summer, and is now pond sized.  It easily holds 3 v. large pigs and the ducks are able to swim and duck and dive, although its no more than 2 foot at its deepest point. 

Theoretically ducks can exist with a bucket of water, mine would decant.  I love Indian runners too. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS