Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: NOW what to do with them  (Read 3755 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
NOW what to do with them
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:05:10 am »
 :wave: hi all we have just been given a breeding trio of micro pigs and 4 of their last litter of 14week piglets plus the 2 kune kunes we all ready had now what exactly do i do with them lol the breeding trio have been running together almost all the time he had them so may be in pig if my working out right they could be due over winter  :o as to what to do if they are (was a typical case of his daughter wanted them then lost interest) now looks like we need to get some more shelters as they currently borrowing the sheeps winter house.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: NOW what to do with them
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:50 am »
oh gosh...get the hard hats ready ..... :innocent:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
You don't happen to have mug written across your forehead do you? ::) What on earth have you let yourself in for? :o Best of luck. The idiots who you've had them from have been lucky  to find someone like you to pick up the pieces.

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
I would buy an enormous freezer and prepare yourself for a huge volume of sausages.
Separate the boar from the sows and any daughters asap on the off chance that some of them won't already be pregnant.
Are the 14wk old males castrated? if not they will need to be separated too.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
you might have 30 pigs by xmas  :o :o :o

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »
well thank god that he had split the piglets from them all already and the one boy has been castrated got the boar seperate for now but he going nuts (im told he never been kept away from them) and not sure how long fence will last  they not very big so wouldnt be much meat on them although they may mature quicker than the others, think il advertise the piglets thou as soon as the 7 day standstill over, the bloke said the two older sows have had 8 in each litter so far.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:52:59 pm »
Put a couple of castrated males in with the boar to keep him company.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:38:50 pm »
...as soon as the 7 day standstill over.

Sorry Zarzar it's a 20 day standstill for pigs !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »
He got the castrated boy with him but he keeps running through him up and down fence, yep i know lol was thinking of sheep when was typing lol gets confusing with all of them.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »
The sensible option would have been to work out what you're going to do before getting the pigs I would have thought.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:37 am »
oh gosh...get the hard hats ready ..... :innocent:

I know i waited to see what hit the fan before responding.
Zarzar you are an incredibly brave generous person to take on all these pigs and you seem to have your head screwed on the right way as for moving forward.
Good idea advertise the piglets everywhere you can, any idea whats in their Dolly mixture breeding will give you an idea of how big they might grow, if its predominantly KK they won't get too big and will make good pork & sausages.
The male pig will settle down soon especially if you can move the girls away from him, watch for him bullying the other little guy at meal times.
You have 2 girls who are very possibly pregnant, do you have a ewe scanner for detecting pregnancy, they're quite good for checking if pigs are too, have a listen if you can, then you'll know for sure what you're dealing with then its a case of getting prepared for farrowing.
Hth and well done for coming to these poor creatures rescue. I HATE :rant: the micro trade. It leaves so many broken hearts and unwanted animals. :'( ::) >:(
All the best to you and piggies.
mandy :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »
Nicely done Mandy  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 12:55:11 am »
Thanks Mandy the sows are around 26inchs high and the boar 27, possibly a buyer for 1-2 piglets already although they ideally want the castrated boar but thinking of sending the big guy off asap and likely end up with alot of sausages so they would have to wait till he goes before the little guy can go, and god i thought the kune kunes could squel but the micro piglets sound like you slaughtering them alive lol im sure neighbours wondered what was going on today, one of girls il wait to see if she in pig but if not she can go as she quiet nasty to the one who meant to be her sister, not got a scanner will be looking for someone to do ewes this year thou now that there 30 of them. and so far the boar still bit upset but started to settle and seems ok with the young pig at min although i do spread their food out in a long line on floor to limit any squables.
zara

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:
best of luck Mandy :pig:

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:51:51 pm »
Thanks look like we might have lots of sausages lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS