Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new soap kitchen (to be)  (Read 9380 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
My new soap kitchen (to be)
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:01 am »
Demand is outstripping current supply for soap with whole sale orders rolling in as well as online personal customers etc so we've finally decided to stop talking about it and get on with converting part of our coach house into a soap making base  :)
Its victorian, with the usual 2 floors (accessed by internal ladder although we currently have an external ladder for shifting boxes through the door!) and is thick with dust, spiders, cobwebs etc but also full of potential.
The girls are having the upstairs as a den, the left hand door will remain my hay and feed store and the right hand door/side is my work place.
Work commenced 3 days ago, soon the Victoria plums will be ready though so we'll have to stop. I expect to 'move in' by October (hopefully before)  Means I can have my work set up ready at any time rather than having to wait for the kitchen to be free, drag everything in...etc but also means I can bulk order my oils and have space to store them  :thumbsup:       
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: My new soap kitchen (to be)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
Brilliant, I bet you wished you had done it before....its exciting and going to look fantastic, love doing stuff like that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:49 am »
Good luck..a friend of mine owns the Ochil Soap Company and she started off in her kitchen with little children around too then onto her garage..there's a great demand for products that have no artificial ingredients.  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
Your coach house is my dream outhouse  :love:

It looks as if the clean-up is of pretty superficial stuff and you have some willing workers there  :thumbsup:

It's amazing having watched your little business take off and grow - you are an inspiration to smallholders everywhere  :goat: :goat: :goat: :excited:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:55 pm »
Well, its just sat there half full of hay and half full of junk! We've discussed it before and then put it on a back burner but seems that Goats milk soap is more popular than I ever dreamt it could be and we need to start being serious about it now! Its given OH and I a great opportunity to work together at building something within the smallholding and we are really enjoying it now  :)
I had a look at your friends site Aess - its lovely - my next step it to have our website 'done' professionally the photographer is coming after school holidays to replace my basic pics with proper ones! Like I said, we really didn't expect a business to come out of this - it was only ever making a few bars of soap to go with wine for families xmas pressies but fate had other ideas  ;D
Now...can anyone recommend a good coffee maker and the perfect way to eradicate dust!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
Wow, how brilliant is that going to be! I am envious, we have no outbuildings (except for what we build ourselves from scratch) as ours was a building plot plus field.

Maybe that way you will also regard your business much more seriously - after all working from the family kitchen is always causing problems with trying to cook dinner while there is still other stuff all over the dining table...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:42:34 pm »
Plums, Jura f90 (or the equivalent) that's what I have, pour beans in top, put cup underneath subtlety top lit in blue light of course, press button, out comes coffee, you can also programme it for different grinds and volumes and conect it to the internet (why?) but I don't bother

I've got a nespresso in my shop, which is good but the pods are expensive and I've got a dualit machine but that's a fiddle and messy, cost wise, think the nespresso was about £100, the dualit about £125 and the Jura about £1200 when it was new (must've been mad)

I've also got a jar of Nescafé espresso which was a couple of quid

(I only drink tea)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:49:04 pm »
Well done  :thumbsup:  :trophy:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
Thank you for the coffee machine recommendations, Alistair - intrigued by plugging one into the internet. must research that one  ;)   Was tempted by a Tassimo but the pods are so pricey (!) and to be honest I was just being silly and wanting one that could also make hot chocolate...
OH has of course asked why the coffee machine is higher on the list than other 'essentials' such as fridge, something to melt oils, storage etc...he was even so cheeky to ask if I was going to be sneaking into the soap kitchen with a book to kick my heels up instead of working....cheeky?!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »
Having to expand your little family business isn't a bad complaint at all  :excited:  :thumbsup:  :excited: well done, a big congratulations  :hug:

I envy that building, it is lovely. Shouldn't take much to sort and a great place to work from.  Hope a lovely log burner is on the list along with the coffee maker  ;)
Look forward tomseeing some piccies of the finished workshop  :excited:

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »
What a fantastic space.....and great news that you are expanding

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:49 pm »
That's really exciting, well done on your business being such a success.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:24:36 pm »
Lol , yep , great to hear you are expanding plums !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
It's going to be great. I'll be able to inspect next time I visit.  ;D

There is certainly something about going somewhere different to work. I could always get more marking/preparation/writing done when I went into my study than when I tried to work anywhere else int eh house.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:45:23 pm »
 ;D you should contact Fiona at the Ochil Soap Company to see if there are tips or pitfalls to avoid in taking the business beyond the kitchen..she's really nice, she's my 2 girls Godmother.  :thumbsup: Angela

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS