Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rosie went on her trip this morning  (Read 2001 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Rosie went on her trip this morning
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:52 am »
We put her in the trailer with some pig nuts last night and she seemd quite happy making herself a bed in the straw.
I didn't watch her get out of the trailer at the other end but OH said they just waited until she was ready to move herself and then off she trotted.
When discussing butchering requirements the man asked me if I was ok which I thought was very nice of him.
At least she has gone to join Cider who died on Sat.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Rosie went on her trip this morning
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:22 am »
So brave of you Sally,  :thumbsup: but that's all part of the life cycle, at least she went peacefully, will certainly be remembered and  had a good life, much better than some of  us humans can say...........and you can still enjoy her....in a food chain sense :innocent:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:59 am »
I can only imagine how hard today must be after losing cider at the weekend. The abattoir men sound very sympathetic, Rosie was in good hands.   :hug:

You inspire me with how far you have come on in smallholding, Sally. There are ups and downs in everything but you will always come out of it with your head held high. Well done you  :sunshine:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:34 am »
Always a difficult day. My heart goes out to you, I was very tearful the day our two went. Just look forward to some excellent pork which you know was well fed and cared for.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:39:26 am »
Tregaron is a brilliant small abattoir and the guys that work there are really good too.   Neil the boss will bend over backwards to help and advise.  I've used them since we moved here over 5 years ago and altho we've also used another couple of abattoirs, Tregaron is still the most friendly and organised.   Highly recommended to anyone using an abattoir for the first time.   :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:43 am »
Well done Sally  :hug:
Its nice when guys who do tough jobs can be sensitive :thumbsup:  our fallen stock people are lovely and very sensitive to the fact that our animals are part of our family. It helps tremendously.
All the best Mandy :pig:

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:37 pm »
our thoughts are with you, must of been hard for you after loosing the other one last week.The small slaughter houses are so good,im taking 2 to Talgarth which featured on countryfile last sunday. :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS