Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spent hobbs  (Read 2241 times)

green grass

• Joined Jul 2011
Spent hobbs
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:30:58 pm »
 :pig: Hi,can anyone tell me can pigs have spent hobbs as a treat,or is against EU regs,many thanks.... :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Spent hobbs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
hopps? im sure they can have it.

green grass

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »
Thank you,i did mean hopps, :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:00:22 am »
spent brewers grains, fine.
But they are "spent" so not good for growers or sows with piglets, and only recommended at 20% of diet for dry sows.
Hops are too bitter for pigs, they ignore them - at least ours do, they pick them from the grains and leave aside !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:49:50 am »
On a slightly different tack, I must own one of the few pigs that wont touch chickweed. I've pulled loads of it out of the polytunnel this year and she wont give it so much as a second glance.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »
sorry, i got confused between brewers grain and hopps. definitely brewers grain if you are lucky enough to get a supply.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:30:54 pm »
My dog got drunk drinking from a puddle by a heap of spent brewers grain! Terrified at the time, couldn't figure out why he was staggering about and had no coordination, spoke to vet, who had no idea what it could be. Dog was a very happy drunk and fine the next day... Quite funny in hindsight. Do pigs get drunk eating it?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »
In the past, I've fed my pigs on slops from the local pub and if you give them too much, they can get very drunk indeed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS