Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little under ripe  (Read 3846 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
A little under ripe
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:59 am »
Will apples a little under ripe be OK to make apple chutney with ?
It was a bit windy here yesterday and the heaviest cropping branch snapped off one of our apple trees  :-\
So I now have a black bucket full of apples and not sure if I can use them.
If you preserving experts come back with a yes  :fc: , I will be making apple & mint chutney and a spiced apple chutney. And anything else I can think of (there are a lot of apples) ::)
Suggestion for any other apple recipes welcome  ;D ( only have limited number of jars, as spent last two day making two types of marmalade and courgette chutney :thumbsup: )

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: A little under ripe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
What a pain. I used to pick some very sharp apples from a couple of trees near us and make apple jelly and apple and mint jelly. It always went down well.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:09:48 pm »
Yes definitely - and it adds a bit of bite to it too  :excited:  I did that with the ones that were pulled off my trees last year and thrown around because the thieves couldn't eat them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:16 am »
Thank you  :thumbsup: 

Apple and mint jelly sound good  :yum: .
I can highly recommend apple and mint chutney  :yum: :yum: :yum:  it ended up a bit runny but that was me being  :dunce:  as I doubled the amounts but didn't extend the cooking time  :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:  ( well I assume that's why it was still a bit runny)
So after my apple & mint chutney and apple crumble (5 Lb of apples) I still have 2/3 of the bucket to go  :roflanim: 
Yes definitely - and it adds a bit of bite to it too  :excited:  I did that with the ones that were pulled off my trees last year and thrown around because the thieves couldn't eat them.

[size=78%] [/size]
Some people  are such f******a******* :rant: , what is the point in doing that to your apples,

Off to peel more apples now :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »
Happy peeling.

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:39 pm »
Really? Crumble with unripe apples? Don't you get a tummy ache? We haven't got any pigs to feed ours too this year, so I better do something with our windfalls...... Not sure I like the sound of apple and mint chutney, what does it go well with?

Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »
Not sure I like the sound of apple and mint chutney, what does it go well with?

clearly pork and lamb!!!

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »
Not sure I like the sound of apple and mint chutney, what does it go well with?

clearly pork and lamb!!!

::) Aha!!  :excited:
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS