Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stopping the itch  (Read 3689 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Stopping the itch
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:38 pm »
My horse has sweet itch and every summer he rubs himself - mane, tail and worst of all, his face. He's in a rug and that helps but even a fly mask doesn't stop him rubbing his face. He gets Brewer's yeast, garlic and NAF D Itch in his feed, but he still rubs. I've tried loads of potions and guess what - I've finally found one that works!

I was in the local feed merchants and got chatting with another customer and she recommended NETTEX Itch Stop salve. I bought a tub and three weeks on, his face is clear and almost all the hair has grown back. He's not wearing a fly mask now and I'm cutting down the D-itch in his feed. Honestly, I'll so pleased.

I've been rubbing it on his tail and the bit of his mane he rubs when he's in the stable and there better too.

Just wanted to share this as sweet itch is such a miserable thing. I'm not on commission, by the way! ;D 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Stopping the itch
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:16 pm »
Gosh, such a simple answer, I'm so glad for Smokey!  Hope it's not too expensive although I'm sure you wouldn't quibble even if it was.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »
Im glad you have found something that works. I have heard that pig oil is also good for sweet itch, its something that (jakebobtoucheswood) I havnt had any experience with but I have heard that works you just paint it on manes and tails and the beasties dont like it!

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:25 pm »
I just had the vet out at my welsh pony who has sweet itch too, who has been driven demented by the flies here (we are surrounded by trees and water - not a good combination.) The vet said garlic is useless and i also gave mine the Naff D itch to no effect. The vet recommends Cooper plus as a fly spray and my horse is now on a trial of high doses of vitamins to stop the sweet itch which has apparently been getting good results (vet said he wasnt vitamin deficient but the high doses apparently do something - he did properly explain but my memory is hopeless this weather)  Will certainly try what you recommend Rosemary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS