Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescue dog with sheep  (Read 3028 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Rescue dog with sheep
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:19:28 am »
We took on an 11 month old rescue dog - whippet x jack russell two years ago.  He had had 4 previous homes in his short life and never stayed more than a few months in each home due to his over-exuberance  :innocent:   :-\.    He certainly was a live-wire to start with, and found the sheep very tempting, having never seen a sheep in his young life before.  However, with exercise (he was previously shut in and not walked at all) and some training both at home and local dog training classes, he has turned in to a super dog and just loves the sheep.  He loves spending time with them and now comes out with my lurcher to do the rounds of them each day and check everything is as it should be.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Rescue dog with sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:25:01 am »
 :wave: i got a 7 month lurcher 2 months back now and he was just the same now he happily runs around smallholding i can even trust him now with the chickens , he even likes our micro piglets, but our kune kune x sow chases him around although she is pretty playfull lol never seen i pig run about like she does lol
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:36 am »
He's just lovely - just shows what the right home can do for a dog.  My daughter had a whippet/bedlington cross, lovely gentle little dog.

Donna

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:11 am »
Great story and great pics  :thumbsup:.

Thanks for posting.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
I love happy endings  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:25 pm »
He looks right at home with the sheep. It's amazing what patience and time spent training a dog can achieve. Well done you  :thumbsup:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »
He's actually got a "thing" about licking them - which is what he is doing in the first photo.  He would be quite handy to take along as a groom in a sheep showing class - just to give them a final "shine".

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:51 pm »
You have obviously had a lot of patience with him. Well done  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »
He's actually got a "thing" about licking them - which is what he is doing in the first photo.  He would be quite handy to take along as a groom in a sheep showing class - just to give them a final "shine".
Are you sure he's not just tasting them to see if they are ready yet  ;D
Anne

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
How absolutely lovely. Well done you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS