Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted  (Read 3173 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Wanted
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »
Despite my attempting to cut down on bird numbers, I have ended up with the sum of 19 ducklings and will soon be requiring another shed to house them.

can any one suggest where I can get a reasonably cheap or better still free for uplift wooden shed of a minimum of 6x4 diameter

been looking in supermarkets, free-cycle etc.....trying to save the pennies so not really looked at new...but if it comes to it......

i'm in fife and able and willing to travel a reasonable distance.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:19 pm »
2 sheets external ply, 2 sheets Onduline, 2" x 1" batten, 2" x 2" for chocks to raise it off the ground. 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »
 :wave: , what about pallets? they are like playing with lego, you can attached ply or plastic to them to make them water tight, pallets can be picked up free from lots of industrial sites, I know, we have loads and our car nearly broke in half when transporting the lot :innocent:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
we've got losts of them available on the farm and i have thought about them, i have a slight rat issue and want something i can get almost 100% proofed.

and a shed will also give me more to play with in terms of it being more flexible in terms of what i can be used for afterwards etc.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:02:33 pm »
 :thumbsup: , there was a shed going free here on gumtree but I bet its gone now, needed to be dismantled etc...have you checked Gumtree?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »
A shed won't keep rats out, they chew the wood.  Use teh pallets and buy a roll of small holed chicken wire to put round and under it.

Any sign of my quail yet  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
OMG, Cameron - you're breaking your own records! And here I was going to offer you ducks in case you're have none this summer :roflanim: :&> ...there are 4 different Fife freecycle groups and freegle on top. Worth joining all of them as you're allowed to ask on all of them. I prefer any housing off the ground for the same reason. My ducks learned to walk up the slope into their hen house. Good luck !

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »
i find the shed's safer - i know nothing is 100% rat-proof, i have one shed and another wooden hen house and have very little problems of rats getting in about them after they have been fettled up- i am also undecided as to wether it will be hens or ducks living in it so I would like the hight option for perches.

thanks Northfife - i shall keep looking on those sites!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:14 pm »
I've been looking at new ones for a while because I realised that dismantling and moving an old one was probably beyond me, not to mention the state some were probably in and the cost of the transport..

Can't find anything half decent, the biggest con is the ones that for price appeal sell them with small printe notes to say they are made of untreated timber, no floor or base whatsoever and no roofing felt or alternative, and still want £130-140  :o

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »
what about plastic sheds or dog or play houses?  I love sheds too and was very lucky to get our 8x 6 one for £100 delivered nearly new  too as it was in a stable with tack in it....I just looked and there were some...also, are you able to go to the recycle centre and ask to look?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »
i'm basically looking for anything shed-like, though not sure about a dog kennel - possibly for ducks i suppose

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:44:17 pm »
My ducks were in a dog kennel, they used the opening to go in and out of a large sized dog crate, then a large run.  My son removed the  apex roof and hinged it so I could prop it open to lean in and clean it but it was still very awkward so I did it less and less frequently.  It's still here if you want it but the cage wasn't attached close enough to keep rats out so you'd need a run that's rat proof.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »
......or a wardrobe, nail the doors shut and cut out a poop hole.... or  maybe a side board .. ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
Cameron
You are welcome to my duckshed if you want it, sent you a pm photo attached

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS