Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike..  (Read 3328 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Flystrike..
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »
Found a lamb with flystrike this afternoon.... and another with a few maggots but no break in the skin.  crovected all 7 again and cleaned up the two affected lambs... they are now separated for the night and I'll check again tomorrow.

Dagged regularly (in fact only last sunday). 

This is the second time I've had flystrike this year, and that was after crovecting them.... so they've now had crovect 3 times!

I keep my horse in with the sheep, they get on fine.    Could her poo (I poo pick every other day) be increasing the risk of flystrike ... or is it just the hot summer.

I live in Essex and have 4 acres... one of which will be scrub until next year so I don't have vast amounts of alternate paddocks....

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Flystrike..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:34:20 pm »
we do one dose of crovect and then do clic for the rest of the season.We have horses too but I haven't found them to cause any problems.However,we have two paddocks that we don't put sheep in during the summer as you can hear the flies buzzing.

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:42 pm »
Try Clik -I find it much better than Crovect. My sheep are in fields surrounded by trees & there are always flies buzzing around.

I only have 14 sheep & swear by Clik - it is slightly more expensive than Crovect, but lasts for 16 weeks, so it actually works out cheaper in the long run. Although I see blowfly eggs on the sheep, they never hatch & having used Clik post shearing for the last 2 years, I have never had fly strike on any on my sheep post shearing. Because of the action of Clik it protects the whole body by binding with the grease in the wool & skin, so it works differently to other products on the market. See http://www.farmanimalhealth.co.uk/sheep-clik

However, I did use Crovect prior to shearing this year as it only last 6-8 weeks, but found fly strike in 4 of my sheep, 3-4 weeks after treatment. One lamb was struck underneath in its udder area & I discovered it when we turned it to check its feet, so its not just the upper areas of the sheep prone to fly strike. Next year I will use Clikzin for the 6-8 weeks prior to shearing as I need something more effective & I feel 100% confident that my sheep are protected. Even if caught early, like mine were, fly strike is nasty & very unpleasant for the sheep.

I bought a 0.8l bottle of Clik last year with a long expiry date & having stored it properly, I have used the rest of the bottle this year & it appears to have worked well - eggs seen, but not hatched!

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:01:22 pm »
will use clik... just used crovect because that's what was recommended when I started sheep a few years ago... up to now I've never had any flystrike, but I only buy in a few lambs and rear them over the summer so I'm not exactly a professional!.  I do their feet and when on a lamb husbandry course so know the basics but stuff like the best brand ..... that's outside my skills .

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:21:35 pm »
*insert smug woolshedding sheep comment here*  :innocent:

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:29 am »
Don't think you are alone with fly strike, it seems to have been a bad year with the hot weather we have had. The sustained hot period seems to have cancelled out the clik or crovect!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:32:15 am »
*insert smug woolshedding sheep comment here*  :innocent:

now now Steve  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS