Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aberdeen Angus X Dexter  (Read 6930 times)

Andy Harrison

• Joined Apr 2013
Aberdeen Angus X Dexter
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:59 am »
Being relatively new to cattle keeping I am wondering whether using an Angus bull on my Dexter cow is sensible cross due to the difference in size. I intend to use the services of an AI firm but none of their information seems to tell you the size of the bull. She calved well this year with no problems with either the cow or the Dexter calf and her previous  Dexter calf has grown well and thrived but I do have reservations using another breed on her. All the information I have been able to find suggests using a small Angus on a bigger Dexter cow. I couldn't tell you whether my cow is larger or smaller than average but I am sure she is the non-short variety. Any information regarding calving problems with this cross would be appreciated.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Aberdeen Angus X Dexter
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
I have been considering doing this cross on my dexter this year, still undecided......
With AI you can select an easy calving Angus if you ring and speak to them.

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:26:23 am »
Lots of information about this cross on the www.dextercattleforsale.co.uk website.  ;D

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »
No probs with Angus dexter crossing. we use the angus all the time, 38 calves this  year with no problems due to crossing. heifers and all.

the obvious thing to say is you must use an easy calving bull, but i would think an AI firm will only offer that anyway.
as for cow size, just not a cow that has not grown well herself, so nothing that has not thrived due to being ill etc. if you have a normal healthy dexter it will be no problem.

used limo, charly, beltie. trying wagyu and hereford this year to.

you get a tonnes better calf that grows quickly and is really commercial. the heifers make great cows too.

dominic

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »
AIing 5 dexter this month, heifers are getting Elmwood MacKay dexter stuff and the cows are getting an easy calving Aberdeen Angus. Just don't put them on flush grass, rough ground is best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS