Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home kill  (Read 2862 times)

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Home kill
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:51 am »
 I know its been discussed many times before but is this legal
http://www.countrysmallholding.com/index-of-articles-sheep-killing-and-butchering-sheep--212299
The waste I could take to my local knacker man, 410 shotty no probs, large fridge for hanging, Hoist in barn no probs.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Home kill
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:58 am »
For home consumption yes (within the defined parameters) but not for resale even to family / friends.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:06:09 pm »
There are a few things in that article that seem dodgy to me, autumn castration of ram lambs for a start. I understood that it had to be done before a lamb is 7 days old - is it different up here in Scotland? Also up here, home slaughter of pigs is illegal unless you hold a full slaughterman's licence, but you can do your own cattle and sheep provided it is done humanely. 
When we went down the home slaughter route our local animal health inspector and the ministry vet kept us straight. I was referred to the humane slaughter association for a booklet on how to do it, helped with the purchase of a shotgun and overcoming the sensibilities of our local firearms officer, who baulked a bit at our reasons for wanting a shotgun.
It's a daft set-up really, as you can own a captive bolt pistol but unless you hold a slaughterman's licence it is illegal to cut the throat of any animal that isn't dead. ...... so why make it ok to own the pistol, crazy eh? A shotgun needs a licence but is a much more humane way to put down any animal as used correctly it macerates the medulla oblongata instantly.
The knackery will take any leftovers away if you bag them up.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »
It is a bit of minefield isn't it.  I seem to remember when we had a highland heifer who broke her leg, the rules (which I would have to admit we looked at after, as on welfare grounds she needed to be dealt with asap) said that myself or my husband could shoot her, as her owners, as it was for her welfare, but our friend, who is a slaughterman/butcher could not, unless he took her to his premises.  That seemed madness.  It was a few years ago now, so maybe (hopefully) things have changed.  She was very tasty.

Re the Autumn castration of lambs, I presume to be legal this would have to be done surgically by a vet?

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
I would have thought that too, I probably shouldn't have assumed the author of the article was talking about doing it himself  :innocent: but it did seem to read that way.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS