Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sprocker puppies - Scotland  (Read 11393 times)

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Sprocker puppies - Scotland
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »
Sprocker puppies, ready now, bred from working parents, various colours advertising on behalf of a friend without internet access.

£350

Please contact Bill on 07815298101, based near Maybole in South Ayrshire

Don't message him as he can't reply to text, hence the reason why I am placing an add for him as he isn't computer literate either

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sprocker puppies - Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:48 pm »
More designer dogs.  Even pedigrees aren't selling just now so best advertise these on working forums.  How about the NOBS site?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:29 am »
I know, he was told that these would be better for working that breeding pure and that there was more demand for 'sprockers'

I have personally seen them in action and they are very good dogs, nice temprament too.

Sorry if I am being stupid here but what is NOBS?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:54:04 pm »
National Organisation of Beaters and Pickers up.  We all register then if there's any work going for our dogs we are notified.
http://www.nobs.org.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:42:20 pm »
Thanks, much appreciated, wonder if I could register my tykes, will take a look

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:40:50 pm »
We have a sprocker and she is a fab dog, excellent companion and also a fantastic working dog!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:45:04 pm »
My sister had one and she was the worst pet ever.  She wouldn't go near anyone except her and my brother-in-law and their two sons, cowered away from everyone. Was obsessive about stones, but always brought the right one back, was desperate to hunt at every opportunity, nothing else mattered in her life.  Wouldn't eat, bossed their lab bitch.  I would never have such a work oriented cross breed.  I don't see the ned fro crossbreeds and mongrels when there are 257 other breeds to choose from in teh UK

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:25:39 pm »
At least they were bred as possible working dogs, unlike some of the other abominations that people are creating just to make money. :dog:

£350 though,  is IMO a bit steep for a pup that some people may suspect to be as the result of an accidental mating.

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »
I thought it was expensive but am just the messenger not the breeder, and as for one of these as a pet then wouldn't recommend it at all, have had over 300 dogs of various breeds that I have worked with and the amount of springers that came in to be rehomed is unreal because people had them as pets and couldn't cope, I like the sprocker but then I like all dogs, so may be bias.

I did actually tell him it was too high a price but that is 'apparently' what they are selling for around here, who am I to argue, some of the other abominations sell for a lot more and I really can't see the appeal

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:48:32 am »
Good luck in selling them but too expensive imho as we asked less for KC registered, great working pedigree pure bred springer pups, and struggled to sell them.
One of PuBS designated charities is NESSR.net - a rescue which does rehome to working homes - they are inundated at the moment with all sorts.
I have nothing against crossbreds but sometimes you get the worst traits being concentrated rather than the good.
people who think they can make pets of working bred colies and spaniels really dont know how active these dogs are and how work is the essence, boredom soon sets in if they are not worked.
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:36:24 am »
The breeder could also try advertising on Pets4Homes, they have a section there for mixed breeds, first crosses as well as Heinz57. I notice Sprockers are being advertised on there for £250 - 300.

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 10:45:48 am »
My uncle has a sprocker and she's lovely!  Cracking working dog too.

Home he finds lovely active homes for them  :)

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »
National Organisation of Beaters and Pickers up.  We all register then if there's any work going for our dogs we are notified.
http://www.nobs.org.uk/

NOBS charge £5 for individuals and £10 for shoots to register, an annual fee.
Your name and location is entered on a Database which is presumably searched whenever a shoot notifies a vacancy. NOBS office hours are 9.00am - 2.00pm Monday to Friday.
PuBS PickersupBeatersShoots is completely free and you don't need to register to use its services - it operates differently.
An internet forum with various categories is used by shoots or people seeking to fill vacancies and it is therefore proactive, very up to date and operates 24/7.
Beaters Courses are also being run, on a real shoot day, full English brekki, roast lunch and all the trimmings and an oven ready brace of birds to end with- all this also will be free of charge.
You pays yer money, or not, entirely down to you
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »
Pubs you have already convinced me with the f full English brekki, roast lunch and all the trimmings and an oven ready brace of birds to end with especially with being free of charge, could do the beating once my broken ankle has healed.

Have looked on epupz they are around the £350 mark, did speak to him last night and said they were expensive and he had got the price from the guy with the stud, who is charging him £400 :o or stud. I think there is something a bit fishy about it really, he is a businessman and should know better but he saw my face pale when he said the stud fee. He will probably take offers anyway, thanks for the pets4homes, forgot about that one.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:10 pm »
Put me down for the full English  ;D Springer of course ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS