Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hardy but not spiky shrubs  (Read 2804 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
hardy but not spiky shrubs
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »
Please bear with me if I use all the wrong words, I am a very beginner gardener. 

We have just begun to tackle the large garden on the house we moved into last year, and I really am learning as we go.  It has been quite neglected and overgrown, so most of what I've done so far was let things flower to see what was there, then weed/cut back etc as appropriate.  There was one corner of the garden, across a stretch of gravel from the main lawn/border area which I couldn't decide if it had been a border that had got totally out of contol, or just a really, really weedy patch of gravel.  I weed killed it, then dug out the roots and so on, and have put black membrane over the area (about 2m x 4m).  My step dad has built a wee 'wall' around it with tree trunks to about 2' high, and I am making it into a sort of play area for my sons. 

I am going to lie some black fleeces which we didn't send to the wool board on top of the membrane, then fill the area with rubber chippings, where William and Angus can drive their cars/tractors/diggers etc.  I would like to make it a bit like a mini landscape, and am going to add some large stones, some rounds from tree trunks, but would also like to put some plants in there too.  I have no idea what to choose, though - they need to be very tough, to stand the temperatures we often get here in the winter, and small boys playing round them/using them as shelter for toy animals etc., but not be poisonous/itchy/spiky etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: hardy but not spiky shrubs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:34 am »
Only thing I can think of  that might work is herbs. They are not poisonous. Not sure if they are tuff enough to cope with small boys  :innocent: but they do regular get bits cut off them for cooking and they cope with that OK.  Lots of herbs die back in the winter so they will just regrow the following year. Things like oregano and mint. If you want mint it has to stay in a pot ( it will try to take over the world, if its given a chance  ::) ). Hope this helps

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41:29 am »
I was thinking herbs too. Lavender, sage, thyme, rosemary. All evergreen so year round colour and it can be used in the kitchen  :yum: our herb patch is next to the football area,so gets a bit of a bashing but still looks good. Lemon balm is great in there too but does die back through winter. The boys will be sweet smelling after rubbing against it  :roflanim:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »
Thanks, herbs it is, then.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »
Hi there how is your play area going?  Im a landscape designer and have been designing natural playgrounds for children.  I have used mainly native plants of NZ because they are tough and soft and interesting textures.  Some that you may have in England are Red Tussock (Chionochloa rubra) which grows to 1.4m and needs no upkeep is lovely and soft great for around swings etc, Hebe Emerald Gem - grows to a 30cm ball, Coprosma acerosa, Muehlenbeckia axillaris, both soft springy plants.  I dont know if they are available in England or not though. This is all a very mixed bag of plants , it all depends on sunlight, moisture etc.  Dafs are poisonous bulbs but most gardens have them. But here are some more ideas. You could bonsai some conifers. Also Kniphofia - red hot pokers, you can get mini ones with lemon/green flowers called Percy's Pride, that the leaves grow about 50cm can be cut down to renew the next season, but may be too spikey for you - perhaps at the back because the flowers make great torches.  Heather, Hops, alpine or european  strawberry - creeping with the most sweet tiny fruit ever, Thyme, lawn chamomile, miniature daffodils  - Tete-a-Tete, Viola labridorica - variety of purple/ mauve colours available, spread by seed, perrenial and mini,  Ajuga Jungle Beauty - grows very quickly so any damage will heal.  Geranium macrorrhizum, succulants - you could make a tufa dish, a big round bowl shape one and plant succulants or tiny alpine plants as a special mini garden - using Saxifrage Peter Pan, really tiny tiny miniature dafs, or create a bonsai scene in it.Check all plants are not poisonous before putting them in.  You can check this over the internet.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:49 pm »
Thanks for all that advice - haven't made much progress due to running out of money to buy plants, but will look up all your ideas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS