Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BLIMEY !!!!!  (Read 5678 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
BLIMEY !!!!!
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »
we're having a baby- not a lamb or a piglet or a chick but a real life human baby- somewhat unexpected and rather later in life than ideal but on those days when its not terrifying its bloomin' amazing. now, the important bit- exactly what sort of contact can the OH have from now on- i know that lambing is a no no, but what about before then, what about existing lambs born March- so many unknowns all of a sudden :excited:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: BLIMEY !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »
I'm now doing what I don't ever do "sorry don't know the answer to your question" but I really really want to say congratulations - must be the best feeling ever  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »
I cant answer your questions but Congrats!!!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:19:19 pm »
Congratulations, you had better start :knit:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »
It's an ideal time to have a baby - when it's going to be loved  :love:

Congratulations - the best of news. Hope the devonlass is keeping fine  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »
Great news  :excited: don't know the exact answer but there will be plenty OH can still do safely and then there is always supervising to do, a most important job if the job in hand is to be done correctly  :innocent:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:56 pm »
Great news  :excited: don't know the exact answer but there will be plenty OH can still do safely and then there is always supervising to do, a most important job if the job in hand is to be done correctly  :innocent:

And one that we ladies excel at  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »
Oh what lovely news. 

I don't know much about contact outside of lambing time, but I would think she should stay away from the flock, plus your work clothes and boots, throughout the time the ewes are pregnant.  This is in case they abort, which can be passed on to humans.  During lambing itself, definitely no contact at all.

When our neighbour was expecting her two children, her husband had to strip off totally and put all his clothes through the machine  :o :o :o  himself, every time he came into the house, then shower thoroughly and scrub out the shower, so she had absolutely no possible contact with birth fluids, fresh or old.   On the other hand I have known of women who have ignored the risks and taken no precautions.  I really really don't think it's worth taking the slightest risk with something as precious as a baby, and I'm sure you agree.   I do think though that you should get definitive advice from both an obstetrician and a vet, and if they don't know for certain then keep enquiring til you find out.  Letting us know your findings on here will help lots of other mothers-to-be  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
Congrats I know I'm only 18 but I still know that is great news :)
S.Knox

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »
 :thumbsup:   Well congratulations   :excited: :excited:   Great news  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Congratulations, how exciting!

The official guidance would be no contact with pregnant sheep.  When I was pregnant, my midwife said that is what she would always recommend for someone who had little regular contact with sheep, but for someone who was handling sheep on a daily basis, the risk would be less.  I was in this situation, so the advice I was given was absolutely no actual lambing sheep, no touching amniotic fluid, afterbirth or wet lambs.  So I was still doing checking the sheds, feeding, and I did deal with any pet lambs or lambs that needed topping up and so on, but only once their coats and navels were dry.

I THINK I was told that the earlier in pregnancy you are, the less likely you are to catch anything and it then transferring across the placenta, but if you do, the consequences are likely to be devastating for the baby.  The further through your pregnancy you get, it is much more likely the baby might be affected, but as he/she had done his/her main developing and is just growing, it would not be such a big effect.  I think it is something you need to decide together.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:04:09 am »
Congratulations to you both. OH must be very pleased that she won't be allowed to wash your work clothes  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »
Wow- thank you all so much for your posts. OH (or Devonlass as she now is) has already sussed out the great bonus of not doing my laundry. she led me by the hand last night to show me where the washing machine lives. We certainly dont want to take any risks and whilst I''m fine with being the lone shepherd she is less keen on months away from her precious girls. At the docs the other night after confirmation and lots of advice and general info he asked us if we had any questions. Up pipes Devomlass straight away " yes, sheep ??" he wasnt dead sure but pointed us toward HPA website. Any more qyuestions says doc- "Nope" says she "just needed to ask about sheep" we'll keep you posted  re developments and any more tips for pregnant shepherds

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »
Congratulations and best wishes to you both.  I'm sure Devon lass will project manage the flock ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
How exciting, I cannot remember many or any baby births being announced on here, grandchildren yes but not small holders produce!! Maybe I am wrong as I do not read all posts :innocent:
Congratulations :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS