Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the finances of buying/selling calves over summer  (Read 4796 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
the finances of buying/selling calves over summer
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »
Hi

Can anyone give me a feel for the possible finances associated with buying some calves in spring, rearing them on grass and selling them late autumn?  Can there be a profit in this?  How many calves would about 20 acres of rough grazing support?  If you buy in spring, vaccinations are done, worming before turnout etc - what else is involved in this type of 'system'?  Appreciate this could be a 'can of worms' type topic but interested in finding out if this might be worthwhile.  Any advice very welcome, thanks

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: the finances of buying/selling calves over summer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:22 am »
Traditionally, calf rearers used to get the best prices doing it the other wayround. Rear the calves indoors throughout the winter and then sell them at a good price in the spring to bigger farmers who had lots of grass.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »
I assume it's dairy calves you're planning to rear? In which case, I would suggest that these will be at their most numerous and therefore cheapest in autumn, when most dairy herds calve. So I'd agree with OTG.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »
thanks for the replies folks  It was only about whether it was possible to make some profit buying some calves (should have said beef calves) in spring, turning them out and selling them in autumn.   

I already have very good working relationship with local farmers - as far as I'm concerned they are a great bunch, have had lots of good advice and very interesting chats.  Its one of those farmers who appears to use this system and I assume he wouldnt do it unless there was some profit in it?   I wanted to get an independent view from others 'in the know' rather than asking him at the moment as its his land I may have the opportunity to use!  So I won't be trotting off to ask him - hee hee that would be a sight for sore eyes !

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:57 pm »
It is possible but not easy.

It depends on exactly what you've got in mind, how old the calves are if you are doing grass only, where you are planning to market them, heifers or steers, etc etc.

We have reared calves for a good number of years. Some years it makes money, some it doesn't. In the good years you have to pay a lot to but stock in in the first place so have to keep your fingers crossed they stay good until you sell them in the autumn.

Possible and feasible, but as uncertain as anything else to do with livestock.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:04 pm »
thanks VSS.   Beginning to sound like it won't be a go-er, probably have enough on the go to be getting on with!

by the way - would really like to buy the sheep book when it becomes available, however, couldn't get the e-mail link to work (came up with some sort of technical message and my eyes glazed over!!).   Any chance you could put a post in the sheep section when its available to order? (presuming you're allowed to advertise)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:14:13 pm »
The publisher is coming tomorrow for an all day session - hoping it will be available by the middle of September.

I will put a post up when it is done & dusted.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:38:57 pm »
great  look forward to it    thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS