Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken pecking another  (Read 1976 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
Chicken pecking another
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »
We have 4 chooks - one seems to be constantly peckin the nostril of one of the others - she keeps cowering from her and has a little sore - is this normal - any advice welcome
Bobby

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
Re: Chicken pecking another
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
Does the one being pecked have a nasal discharge / snotty nose? When two of mine had the snuffles the other two would come along and peck the discharge from their nostrils (yep disgusting I know but that's life i guess). It didn't seem to do them any harm on either side but if they are making the hen sore them maybe it could become a problem. Sorry not to be of any more help.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:32:05 pm »
Try a little vaseline on the sore bit.  May put the others off and help protect it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:39:37 am »
spray with the blue antiseptic spay you get for sheeps feet. it keeps them clean and hides the redness the other birds will peck at red.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS