Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding sheep/Lambs  (Read 4801 times)

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
Feeding sheep/Lambs
« on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
Since I first for my sheep in 2011 I have been feeding them bread occasionally when it is too off for us to eat it , I was just wondering if this is a good thing to do or if it is a bad idea to feed them bread
S.Knox

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Feeding sheep/Lambs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:09:41 pm »
I cant see any problems if its in small amounts now and then.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
Ours get the odd oatcake as a treat. I don't think it will do them any harm occasionally.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:16 pm »
Mine love bread but they only get it occasionally and in very small pieces otherwise I think they would gorge themselves on it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:12 am »
Not a fan of feeding any class of livestock "treats" nor any "unnatural" feeds.  If it's recommended to start introducing specifically formulated and manufactured hard feed at the end of pregnancy at 50g a day so as not to cause problems in the rumen I think it gives an indication of what's desirable.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »
I only use oatcakes or other manufactured human food if I have a sheep that is poorly and has already stopped eating, as sometimes stuff like that may be the only thing they will eat and that can be vital. But otherwise I avoid it and just pick dock leaves as treats which they love.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
Ach it's only wheat and yeast. Same stuff as in the bags of feed you buy down the feed merchants. Saves the bread being wasted as well!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »
My Shetlands like a wee ginger nut yummy yummy.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:03:37 pm »
Two old Shetland ewes I picked up a few years ago as part of my first bunch of lambs/hogs had been fed a slice of dry toast every day as a treat by their previous owner... I gave it to them occasionally, but the toast had to come out of a rustling plastic bag, otherwise would be ignored... they used to dash across the field when I rattled the bag - good hearing when they wanted to hear! They were over 10 when I got them, both produced a couple of lovely lamb crops (and I still have their daughters) and then had to be dispatched because of old age (not many sheep have a stroke I guess....)

But in general toast with Marmite or honey is reserved for any one sick and not eating as a last resort. Has been known to work!

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »
Sheep and treats ..... :o ::) ...lucky to get away without losing my fingers  :relief: ,my scone certainly meeting with approval  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS